This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Enabling and Disabling AI's the WolWolloseum Scenario

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm

After working on a skilled ai for some time for colloseum like scenarios, I found a important limitation that you should be aware of before using the ai. I have found that enabling the ailoaderstanderd.xs for the ai and also having a human in the same slot will crash aoe3. To avoid this from happening, you must use the Clear AI button in player data manually everytime you want to swap an ai for a human and must change the player status to human instead of computer to prevent the ai triggers from making your unit training miserable. Also, to re-enable a bot, you must change the desired slot to a computer player once again and set the ai to ailoaderstandard.xs since the wottamain.xs doesn't load in scenarios for some reason.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: French

Re: Enabling and Disabling AI's the WolWolloseum Scenario

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm

UnstoppableStreletsy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm
After working on a skilled ai for some time
Interesting. Would you like to discuss about that?

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 pm

AlistairJah wrote:
UnstoppableStreletsy wrote: After working on a skilled ai for some time
Interesting. Would you like to discuss about that?
About that, the ai I am refering to is the Colloseum/WolWolloseum ai which previously would be killed at the beginning of the match. For those that don't know what colloseum is, you use a old coot or similar charecter to walk next to a gaia unit to spawn it in your base (therefore, limitations of ai's neglected to train some units via buildings are avoiding entirely). I made two different trigger sets for ai's when finding the best one. The first one used the tech status, player status as an ai, and also the timer to decide how the ai used his old coot to train units. Seeing how the slot 5 ai can only train 3-6 units through the match before failing (the old coot is treated as a scout and hence the ai ignored my trigger effects and forced the coot forward on the rim of the circle it is in)., I swapped this bot for one where the triggers trains the units for the ai, and the ai strategizes with the units provided for free (using the timer to signal when a army will spawn for the ai in accordance to how long it would take a human player to make that many units). This new ai is also more balanced in the kinds of units it trains, but can struggle to manage army when too many are grouped together from being idle at base.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm

If I understand correctly, it's a kind of cheat with a more elegant style, right? The AI could not work without triggers?
Well, for the scouting, you can modify the aiLoaderStandard.xs (or whatever loader you choose) to set the cvOkToExplore boolean to "false", which will disable the explore plan. Be sure there is no conflict with the normal AI, though.
I never played Colloseums in my life, I will probably start with this one. And if I understand correctly, you just move the Old Coot to get units and that's all, there is no other rule - apart from battling, of course? If yes, then a custom AI could be better than the aiwottamain.xs

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm

You code it, I'll apply it. :razz:

Since re coding the old coot unit to not behave as a scout/explorer is too tedious atm, the fancy cheat will do since it works so well. Not to mention the fact that the old coot behaves wierd when attacked too much.

But still, that doesn't change the need to enable/re-enable the ai script since most triggers won't activate without a proper ai script to reference.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:41 am

Sorry for the noob question, but where can I find the WolWolloseum (sounds like a "Wololo!")? It's really interesting.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1EnJ ... VhDS2VjZlk

Thi folder contains the latest version of wolloseum I believe. Play some games against the ai and try to understand the triggers to figure out how the ai could be improved.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:43 pm

UnstoppableStreletsy wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm
Play some games against the ai and try to understand the triggers to figure out how the ai could be improved.
Very well! I think I will love this type of game.
Well, I guess you're not aware of the thing yet, but I'm still a noob at this business (AI). One of my very first posts in this forum was asking for some help from the WoL team.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Well, since you fixed the Italian ai and its wagon issue, I'd assume you have some experience in ai scripting, even if minimal. Keep in mind if one is to script an ai for the WolWolloseum scenario, it will need to be a seperate file since the ailoaderstandard.xs is what's bugging the purpose of the old coot for me. The goal of such a script would be to remove the ai's inclanation to use the old coot unless prompted by triggers (unless ofc, you can tell the ai from the script which map coordinates to use to train certain units). Another aspect the ai script could use is to allow the use of general's abilities, the switch to hand attack mode for Mousquetaire du Roi within a ceritan radius of infantry, and the occasional use of other abilities such as that by the civico and marine.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks very much for all these information. I will take a look at all the stuff related to WolWolloseum, I definitely think I will find something interesting. About the ability, it's currently impossible to code because there is no function for that. Well, there is one, but no one managed to get it to work until now - if any does, then please let us know, because that'd make a very big progress in the domain of AI scripting. Using triggers is another story...