This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

brendon.zhan
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Weird Mistakes in the Reworked Chinese Civilisation

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 am

1. The ''Gansu'' region is just one of the province in China  , rather than the entire southern region Image
擷取.PNG
Gansu region (red part)
擷取.PNG (34.74 KiB) Viewed 836 times
2. The term ''xiangu'' means female monks , I'm pretty confused that why  this is the main gunpowder unit for Chinese
3. New units such as Nien rider, Xiangu , Tigerman or even Boxer are not belongs to the flag army , they don't even exist as the official military force.
4.The voice set for Chinese is Indistinguishable, I can hardly recognise it as Chinese. Is it possible to use the original voice set, if not , I will consider to record one for you guys. 
*The Boxers are rebellions, so it might be a special unit in wol , but I personally , really don't suggest it to be put in the flag army
I'm pretty amazed by other new features, but these weirdly placed units really bothers me a lot as being a Chinese(Taiwan).

Here are some useful info that you guys might use it as a guideline..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeng_Guofan ----- This is one of the most important figure that brings the modernisation of China come to real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiang_Army ----- THis is the ultimate army lead by him, which is a reformed Chinese army , trained by British , French and local generals.

Thanks.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: Weird Mistakes in the Reworked Chinese Civilisation

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 am

Those are deliberate mistakes. We wanted to modernize China while keeping the theme, and the Boxer Rebellion was all too fitting for this.

And don't come complaining here that China is wrong for having those units in the banner armies. The China in the base game had Ming era units in the Banner System which is Qing, so there's no real way around it.

The regular chinese army simply didn't have the unit variety we're looking for.

brendon.zhan
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 am

Thank you for replying , well... the reason why the Chinese civil in base game still have military in Ming era , is because , they are actually using them !!!, 
and there is a period that the Ming and the Qing both exist . Which is the Ming went down to the Southern China and establish (Nan-Ming) (Nan means southern)
Both regimes were being recognized as  the legitimate regimes in China.

Again , I'm not here to complain about the mod , I want to give suggestion and makes it become better, I have been playing this mod since you guys only release Latin America civil and I love this mod.
*If you want a army set that fits the rebellion themes, why not trying to do the ROC rebellions , that's the real revolution and fits the era in wol

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 am

You mean the Warlord Era?

That's way too late to base China around.

As I said, we need units that fit the roles the old China units had, Boxer Rebellion fits that perfectly due to the emphasis on old, melee weapons, modernized armies do not.

brendon.zhan
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am

Okay. Yea I agree with dat.
Possibly you can still check out the Xiang army , which is a pretty successful example for the modernisation of China ,they build this army because of the fearness of the intervention from the western powers.

Sunreaver
Roto
Roto

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Why Banner Cavalry instead of Baturu/Bayara/Biele/Hiya(Imperial Guard) ?
Should use the Bow instead of musket as Manchus are very Conservative. Should also have a much more powerful attack as they are Imperial guards.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Because if it's generic banner cavalry rather than imperial guard then it won't need to use bow and it won't need the more powerful attack.

jogq
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 pm

If you want bow wielding manchus they already are in the game

I consider the unit roster to be quite appropriate, my only minor complaints are with skins and chu ko nu. For the first its a work in progress and I guess low priority for banner cavalry, meteor hammer and flamethrower since they seem to have older armor, same with shipment mercs being ming era troops.

The second I understand since china in early 19th century had issues with keeping their armories updated, however I thought the random weapon (like boxers and paraguay use) could be used on them and have them roll with an assortment of crossbows and regular muskets (could be used on other civs as well). Maybe have the western reforms card make it so they all change to 100% guns and late game trough that card have them work as the representation of self-strengthening movement armies, giving the player a choice to posses a local ranged hvy infantry trough the deck, instead of having to ship kansu braves. The balance for the player being whether its worth it to use a shipment to buff these units instead of relying on your already existing boxer roster.

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:29 pm

The Banner cavalry are still some of the stronger Chinese units from my experience anyway.

Sunreaver
Roto
Roto

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 am

Only Han Bannerman use Gunpowder weapons. The name for Manchu early game unit deserves a better name [Niru Horseman].