This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Luv'ert'ur
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Mac/Linux installation guide

Sun May 14, 2017 10:41 pm

The first time I installed Tad it the game worked perfectly, after that I installed the first version of Wol and the all the civs appeared but without the new units and cards. Then I tried to paste manually all the files directly in the bin folder but the game onli remains in the loading screen, without any message. I tried to reinstall the vanilla game and wol but it didn't change

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Any black boxes or patches that seem out of order (things that seem really buggy elsewhere)? From the looks of it, it seems more like a wol installation issue than a wrapper issue, but I could be wrong. Does steam load? Go to the winehq site and get some advice from the app maintainer there on what to do next.

Try just installing aoe3 again and seeing if it works on its own again before continuing.

Hayden7
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 am

Can you recommend any tutorials to get the steam version of age of the empires 3 to work on a mac?

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes I can: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=29559

This is what I used to test wol on my mac. You will also find my results on wars of liberty on wine here as well.

Hayden7
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Mon May 15, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm brand new to trying to get windows games on mac, so I'm still confused. On the website you linked it doesn't have any download buttons or tutorials, it simply tells you if it works. Some further guidance would be greatly appreciated.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm

What particular steps in my guide are confused about? You need to get the wineskin winery app on your mac first before you can do anything. Creating a wrapper in your wineskin winery is your first step. Also try to obtain the 1.8.3 engine as well in the winery app to begin with. Once you create a blank wrapper I can help you better.

Hayden7
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 am

step 16 in particular, I cant seem to locate the directory "drive_c/Program Files/BCM/Codecs/DIRECTS/Fraunhofer/" ..... can you provide a little more info on this step or steps 15-19 in particular? thanks 

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Wed May 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi UnstoppableStreletsy, I decided to try the steam version... however I am stuck on step 15 "install bcm1043.exe on your wrapper," just wondering what it means or how to install this "on" your wrapper???

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed May 17, 2017 3:18 pm

To answer both of your questions, steps 15 to 17 are meant to allow you to install the 13codecx.ax to your wrapper directory. You know how you need to use the "install software" feature to install steam on your wrapper? You need to do the same thing to install bcm1043.exe to the wrapper. Then, search downloads in finder, then search wine in finder from the downloads section. From here you should see a folder named wineskin with your wrapper inside. Then right click on your wrapper and select "show package contents". From there you should find a drive:c folder and then follow the directory I posted to find the 13codecx.ax. The system 32 folder where you paste 13codecx.ax is also in that drive c.

Steps 18 to 19 are merely recommendations to ensure steam will boot up correctly, and also allows you to select other apps besides steam such as wol in a windowed UI. There is a screen options option in the wrapper that allows you to change window settings of your wrapper. I don't understand why, but when you run your wrapper as a windowed desktop, if you don't open any apps right away, the window will close on you which is quite annoying.

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 pm

thanks for the response, 

On my wrapper I choose "install software" then "choose setup executable" where I select the "bcm1043.exe" file. The location it downloads to is "C:/Program Files/Kucoc" 

I then locate the wrapper contents, then Program Files, however I can't find BCM as in step 15...

Is there something I am messing up here? the location Im sending it to possibly? thanks again for then help.