This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Mac/Linux installation guide

Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Which operating systems will support this installation method (mac is the only definite/ will need users of the operating systems listing to test this and report it back here in comments)
  • Mac Osx (any version that works with wine)
  • Linux
  • Solaris
  • FreeBSD
  • read here for more Wiki.winehq.org
What you will need:
  1. warsoflibertysetup1.01setup.exe and warsoflibertyupdater.jar (Installer) (Updater)
  2. steam account
  3. bcm1043.exe (get here Downloads.dddwnld.com)
  4. wineskin winery app (get here Wineskin.urgesoftware.com)
  5. steamsetup.exe (get here Store.steampowered.com)
  6. aoe3 complete collection on steam
  7. latest adobe flashplayer.exe
  8. game ranger.exe
  9. open wineskin winery and download the WS9Wine1.7.50 engine, and the latest wrapper (Wineskin-2.6.2)
  10. create a new blank wrapper and call it what ever you like (if you get a prompt to install a package install them)
  11. open your new wrapper and install the steamsetup.exe under "install software"
  12. do not open steam yet
  13. go to advanced then winetricks (make sure winetricks is updated)
  14. run the following winetricks on your new wrapper here (d3dx9_36, dsound, msxml4, mfc42, directmusic, mfc40) and follow the prompts
  15. install bcm1043.exe on your wrapper
  16. go to the directory drive_c/Program Files/BCM/Codecs/DIRECTS/Fraunhofer/
  17. copy the 13codecx.ax and paste in the system 32 folder inside windows on drive c
  18. change screen settings to a virtual desktop
  19. open steam and get your account set up (when the desktop opens click the steam icon quick or desktop will close)
  20. install aoe3m
additional references
Appdb.winehq.org
Appdb.winehq.org

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1EnJ ... U9QMHpnWEk Link to my pre-made wine wrapper and files you might need all together in one convenient zip file for you.

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Re: Mac/Linux installation guide

Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Any idea on how to install on Mac using the CD version of Age of Empires and not the Steam version? thanks!

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 am

Is this cd version from the windows version? If so, https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=3795 is your main go to. I can sum it up to you here. Please note that using cd version of aoe3 windows on mac hasn't been tested for some time according to app maintainers so I recommend testing with the engines they used.in this case is 1.9.14. The pre-made wrapper I provide here may be of assistance since many of the wine-tricks and files from that guide is used here. Otherwise, I recommend following this guide closely since it looks user friendly. If you are unable to make a wine wrapper (bugs everytime/keep having issues) then I could build a custom one for you assuming you'd be willing to lend me the file directory of your aoe3 installed on your mac (still assuming were dealing with windows aoe).

But, if were dealing with the Macsoft Aoe3, then your choices are very limited. The best thing you can do is try to install manually in which I do not think such manual install folders are available currently. I am sure someone on the team would be willing to create some manual install options for the base mod and the earlier patches if enough macsoft users needed it. This is my ancient guide for manual installing wol 1.0.0 to your macsoft copy of AOE3 if this is the disc version you have. This is the guide http://www.moddb.com/mods/aoe3wol/tutor ... on-for-mac.

Whatever route you need to go to get the best mod in aoe history, just know that it is all worth it in the end (fortunately for me, I had a old mule of a hp to play wol before I learned to get it on my faster mac :) ).

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 am

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I have the Macsoft Aoe3, I'll look into your guide, but I guess its not looking good. Too bad as it looks like a great mod! Thanks anyways for your help, hopefully it will be easier to download for Mac in the future. 

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tue May 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Since your using the Macsoft Aoe3, your only option is to manually install every file, folder, and such into your aoe3 install. This is a tedious process prone to errors.
To be honest if I were you, I would invest in getting aoe3 the complete collection for steam in a steam sale since you can typically get it in a cheap bundle on holidays wiht all the aoe2 hd dlcs as well. Once you do that, then you have many more options for using aoe3 wol on your mac.

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Tue May 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes I think I might just buy the complete collection on steam, but if you don't mind I just have a few more questions...

1. Do I need to make the Steam Aoe 3 (PC version) playable on Mac prior to following your instructions to install Wars of Liberty? (e.g. using something like the "playonmac" software from this Aeo II tutorial http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =247537337

2. for your step #11, what is the steamsetup.exe?

Thanks again for your help. 

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

1. Yes, before you can install wars of liberty correctly, you must verify that the base game tad itself is running when you try it. You don't need the warchiefs or vanilla to be worked, but rather have a functioning tad. You should run the game at least once before installing any mods and also to set the shader quality to low and other options you will want as default. I have actually tried using methods from my guide on playonmac and received errors where the aoe3 tad was unbootable after installing. The only way I see this changing in the future is if the playonmac community makes enough requests for a aoe3 steam and subsequently wol based wrapper as part of the software. But... if you want to use playonmac for the aoe2 hd that comes in your aoe3 complete collection bundle, then by all means use it since its so user friendly.

2. Steamsetup.exe is the installation file for windows (similar to steam.dmg for your mac). You can download on the steam site where it says install steam. You will also need to click the link that says windows rather than continue with the mac download. Installing steam should be pretty straightforward if you know how to install software on a wine wrapper already.

Hayden7
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi, I also have the Macsoft CD version of Age of Empires 3 and the expansions... the mod looks great and I was wondering if you know if it will ever become compatible with this version?? (or have a tutorial about it)

I would get the steam version but im not sure how to make it playable on mac. 

Thanks!

Luv'ert'ur
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 pm

It works! Thank you Streletsy! but when i tried to install Wol, it stays in the loading image (that one with the coin). Also how the .jar updater works? I cant install it with wine

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 pm

To answer both of your questions.

Hayden7: currently if you want to play the most updated version of wol above the version 1.0.0 which isn't even available anymore, you will need to purchase the steam version to remain compatible with my guide. This guide I wrote is devoted to teaching those who own the steam version how to install it. Once you buy aoe3 on steam I can guide you in areas you have trouble with in the installing process.

Luv'ert'ur: To use the .jar for mac, you need to seek out the correct directory of your wol installation yourself. If I'm mistaken you are supposed to have the wol folder highlighted from your aoe3 folder rather than going inside your wol installation folder. Is there any error messages you receive when your stuck in the loading screen? Also when you started Tad for the first time in your wrapper, did the game say in the loading screen there as well? If this happened with the wrapper template, then you should try to make your own from scratch or vice versa if its the other case.