This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

rama.narendra
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Re: Coming in Patch 1.0.9...

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 am

So will you update the Ottoman roster so they can also fit to the 19th century?
I mean, Janissaries, Akincis, Azabs.... Those are the military of the Classical Ottoman era

Circle of Ossus
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 am

rama.narendra wrote: So will you update the Ottoman roster so they can also fit to the 19th century?
I mean, Janissaries, Akincis, Azabs.... Those are the military of the Classical Ottoman era
Ever played Vicky 2? The Ottoman Empire is crumbling state during that time. I think it is better to represent them from during their most succesful period.
While one modern unit or so wouldn't harm I guess, I do think the team has more important things to do.
Also, I don't think that because the mod focusses on the 19th, it should only do the 19th. Do not forget that vanilla represented something like 1450-1860, and this mod seems to have kept that (this is why I like WOL so much). The mod represents the Ottomans fairly well in my opinion: very good early and middle game, but not a great boomer.

CelticCrusader
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Canadians
ESO: CelticCrusader
Steam: CelticCrusader

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:31 am

Looking good. Cant wait to play the Maltese. Looks like they could be serious fun to play. 
Join the Wars of Liberty steam group here >> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3WOL

If you also play AOE3 Join my group here >>.http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3NOOBS

rama.narendra
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote:
rama.narendra wrote: So will you update the Ottoman roster so they can also fit to the 19th century?
Ever played Vicky 2? The Ottoman Empire is crumbling state during that time. I think it is better to represent them from during their most succesful period.
While one modern unit or so wouldn't harm I guess, I do think the team has more important things to do.
Also, I don't think that because the mod focusses on the 19th, it should only do the 19th. Do not forget that vanilla represented something like 1450-1860, and this mod seems to have kept that (this is why I like WOL so much). The mod represents the Ottomans fairly well in my opinion: very good early and middle game, but not a great boomer.
Probably a crumbling state yes, but their military is still considered to be powerful, in the reign of Sultan Abdulaziz the Ottomans have the 3rd largest navy after GB and France. They lose most of the war due to incompetence of the officers and higher ups, but still winning some of them like The Crimean War (which in that war their army performed pretty well) and The Greek-Turkish War during Abdulhamid II's reign. If Spain, France, GB, Germany is totally modernized, why not the Ottomans?

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Well I gotta say that for now at least, the azap and okchu were removed from the Turk civ for being outdated. The only real archaic thing left is the jannisary which I think makes more sense then say a musketeer or regular for the civ since the jannisaries still existed in the period before being wiped out. Also, making turks the sort of transition from the middle eastern civs and Europe makes them a more unique nation overall even more so since Russia lost its archaic components like Tatars and halberds.

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

We're working in the complete modernization of Europe, for the 1.0.9 patch all Vanilla Civs will be modernized except the shared units. For this last we made a new  shared roster for 1.1.0 patch, units like Xbowman and Pikeman will have a rework; the same for cards and outdated techs.
"Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean." Image

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Gotta third the comment, what aspect of the ottomans is outdated exactly?

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 am

Is the "regular" a replacement to the musketeer then?

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:19 am

The Regular is only for the Spanish.
"Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean." Image

rama.narendra
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:16 pm

UnstoppableStreletsy wrote: Well I gotta say that for now at least, the azap and okchu were removed from the Turk civ for being outdated. The only real archaic thing left is the jannisary which I think makes more sense then say a musketeer or regular for the civ since the jannisaries still existed in the period before being wiped out. Also, making turks the sort of transition from the middle eastern civs and Europe makes them a more unique nation overall even more so since Russia lost its archaic components like Tatars and halberds.
I seconded this, though If we want to be fully accurate the Janissaries should be weakened quite a lot