My first writing about this got lost. F. So here I present something of lower writing quality
Peru is considered by many a weak civ, and only a few claim they can do meaningful stuff with them. But why is that?
- Speed/los bonues: ok
- Earlier building unlocking: great bonues, is their main strength.
- Techs to focus on a unit type: cool, is the only thing giving Peru some late game potential (they lack military or economic upgrades in their HC, and lack strong unique units). Problem is, they replace the standard train time reductions other LA have, and that actually hurts Peru a lot. I propose to give them those techs too, depending on your choice of unittype focus. If you focus on infantry, you will only get the cav train time reduction. If you focus on artillery/ships, you will have access to both the infantry and the cavalry train time reductions. This will make the less logical choices more attractive.
- Decoys: no information about them. Recently they received a huge buff.
- The villager can hide in other buildings, but those buildings don’t shoot back AFAIK. Is weaker than the Korean bonus. But the real problem is, is the train time: 35s instead of 25s. That makes the civ much slower. A second TC doesn’t really solve things: you spend an expensive shipment on it. Compare that to Portugal, who receives free TC’s and villagers don’t train slower. It is a mystery why it is that bad. Those 10s make the civ extremely slow. Too slow. The unique unit feels like a punishment.
- The Brenero: is a very frail skirmisher. Decently strong. If you don’t kite, they’ll die. But unlike the Voluntario, who also have to kite to be effective, they don’t have more speed, meaning that you need much more skill to pull it off. On top of that, the pricing of the Brenero feels inconvenient.
- The Peruana is in a difficult spot: why not bad, it counters the same thing breneros counter (heavy inf), and share a weakness. They can soak up damage, and can destroy buildings at least. Biggest problem is the train time for the quick Peru: 50 second, more than the 42 second for grenadiers.
The civ, with its weak economy, is held together by a few strong cards.
- TC wagon. Not necessarily too strong, it’s really understandable why it is there, remains still an unseen strong card.
- 4 Legion Peruana. Is worth 720 resources. More than other cards, but considering the slow train time, this is an awesome card.
- 9 breneros. In age 2. Total value of 900 resources, a whopping +50% more value compared standard cards like 6 line infantry or 600 res crates. I believe it’s a relic from the days where the brenero was cheaper, but now it’s the most important card the civ has.
Playing without these 3 cards would be almost suicide.
I propose to think about the following proposals:
- Fix the unit cards (I mentioned).
- Set villager train time to the ordinary rate.
- Reduce brenero cost by 10 coin.
- Bring Peruana train time to something like 38 or 40. A bit faster than the grenadier.
- If all this becomes too strong, consider moving the TC wagon back to age3. The ability affects the buildings in se, not the cards. Wood crates can take over the role of that spot.
- The change of the train time techs.
- Starting vils/crates might need to be revisited due to these buffs.
I probably forgot a few things, but this is the general idea to make Peru more in line with the other civs.