This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

LazyHobbit
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

So, why do Serbs only have 2 uniques?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm

I recently started playing the mod and I was fooling around with SP games. Especially loved the Australians.
So I tried to play Serbia (well, I am a Serb and we are rarely a faction in RTS games), and I realised that, although they have some unique gimmicks great for rushing, they have hardly any unique units. Is this a design decision, or the team couldn't think of any new units?

I have some suggestions:

1.) Frajkors

Serbian Free Corps, or Freikorps in German. They were mostly used by Austrian army as mercenaries. They freed a part of Serbia from Ottomans during Koča's Uprising at the end of the XVIII century, and they held it for around five years. A lot of veterans from that war, including Karageorge, have participated in First Serbian Uprising. They could be a slightly tankier infantry than chetniks, with bonuses against other infantry.

2. Harambaša
Harambashas were leaders of hajduks, the rank was similar to Ataman or Hetman to Cossacks. They could be a military unit that gives some bonuses to hajduk units, HP or movement speed. Also, there should be limited to 5 or 10 units.

3. Vojvoda or Knyaz
Serbian terms for military commanders and chiefs. Vojvoda could be a general that boosts other cavarly, and Knyaz could replace Boyars (Serbs havent used Boyar as a title since the Middle Ages anyway).

4. Black Hand operative
(Yes, that's their official seal)
"Black Hand" or "Unification or Death" was a organization responsible for the murder of Serbian king Alexander Obrenovic and had ties with Mlada Bosna, that assasinated Archduke  Franz Ferdinand. They could be Serbian unique spy, like Italians have.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: So, why do Serbs only have 2 uniques?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:06 pm

You forgot to mention that the fire ability is near useless. Limited in age, costs quite some wood, damages yourself, and fire got heavily nerfed since the implementation. You only resort to using it when it's already too late. The Serbians sure are generic when you take out the unusual infantry roster and the unusual culture.
Fortunately, the team has plans to rework a lot of the Balkan civs and culture.
And on the units: good proposals! I'm always happy to see good proposals. But I think the Serbian unit roster is ok (the archaic units just need aristocrat upgrades like how Australia has that too), so those units you proposed could perhaps work better as mercenaries. One of them were known for being a mercenary, and the Black Hand could be cool as mercenary spies? IDK if some country was secretly helping them?
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

LazyHobbit
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:37 pm

You forgot to mention that the fire ability is near useless.
Completely useless. I can think some use of it in campaign and custom scenarios. Maybe if the wood price wasn't that big.
Black Hand could be cool as mercenary spies? IDK if some country was secretly helping them?
Mercenary spies would be great, but I don't think that Black Hand would be good for that. Most of members were Serbian military officers, and their actions were entirely tied to Serbia and Bosnia. Their goal was unification of all South Slavic territories.
They weren't backed by any country as far as I know. As a matter of fact, most of the world, especially the British, were enraged that the murderers of Alexander Obrenovic weren't put on trial by King Peter I. They were forced into early retirement, and Peter's son executed the remnants after false accusation of trying to asassinate him during the WWI.
Frajkors would be good mercenaries for German and Balkan civs, but Habsburgs have enough mercenaries as it is.

Unit roster is OK, the only thing that really bothers me is the Boyars, and I think that unit that only boosts a specific unit would be cool. You shouldn't go overboard with unique units, but again, this is not AoE2. 3-4 uniques would be fine, like most vanilla nations.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 pm

I don't think that units who only boost a specific unit are cool.