This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Re: AI game (or at least a try)

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Keep this going!

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Jutlander wrote: Keep this going!
Thank you! You have no idea how much it means to me that more than two people are following the tournament!
I had gotten a little tired of watching and commenting AI matches, but after a small break I started running them again.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

Banyana
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I personaly enjoy reading it o:
Smile like a Banyana... Image

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:13 am

Second round of the second chances! I’m progressing! In this round, another 10 civs will fall. The winners of this round will go to the third round of the second chances, where they will join the losers of the third round. But that’s for the future, the third round hasn’t been run yet. This round has ran on the Red Beach map, a newly updated map that did have issues spawning in the players (there is a roughly 2/3 chance that at least one of the three players will not spawn). The map has a standard set of resources, and none of them are plentiful. What became important, is that the natives on the map are the Zen, the one with the awesome Sohei.

France VS Belgium

Both civs are age II by minute 3:24. As previous matches, Belgium isn’t using the frontier wagons, which lowers their potential a lot. AI handle wagons badly, it’s something the developers of the game introduced as bug apparently. At minute 8, Belgium performs a minor attack that failed miserably. A bit later, the French counter-attack with a much larger army. They are also age 3. But the French AI decided to walk past the troops of Belgium, and past the military buildings to attack the Belgian forces in their back. There are two flaws with this plan. One, the buildings are in the way. Two, you walk past the Belgians, so they see you, which means that it won’t be a surprise attack. Oh, there is another problem. You are already dead before your troops can fire. AI strategies for you. A bit before minute 13, Belgium goes III. At 13:33, the French are sending some troops to attack a few vils, while a somewhat larger force attacked the Belgians. The French have also setup a fort in the center of the map. The Belgians had noticed that, and instead of defending, they chose to attack the fort. Didn’t go well though. Not only got their army destroyed, but the French are also damaging the Belgian base. The only success of the Belgians was that they managed to erect a fort almost in range of a French mill. The French respond quickly to this, and take the fort down. Minute 23, the French are assaulting the Belgian second TC (French are IV too). The Belgians had send an army across the map to attack the French fort from an surprise angle. Small hint: forts fire all directions, surprise angles don’t work. Perhaps that’s the reason why the fort didn’t go down? The French army got defeated by TC and tower fire, but the situation is becoming hopeless. At the second wave of French troops that arrive, Leopold II surrenders.

Ottomans VS Egypt

Somehow I’m obliged to have high hopes of the Ottomans, since they defeated in the previous round a supposedly top-tier AI. Egypt on the other hand has so far lost against Romania and won against the Bulgarians. And if you read their previous matches, you will know that they don’t train troops. The game started out slowly. At minute 11, the Ottomans went III, and it seems like they are sending a small army towards the Egyptians. I’m actually surprised that the Egyptians aren’t aging up quicker, usually their AI goes IV ASAP. The Ottoman army encountered some hunters, and killed them. The Egyptians, who have Sohei, march towards the center of the map, ignoring the fact that an army is approaching. They do intercept the fort wagon, which is nice of course. But instead of retreating to their base, which is under attack, they go for the Ottoman town. That plan failed. The Ottoman army meanwhile defeated many Bedouins and many vils that were passing by. Minute 15, more Ottoman troops arrive, killing off almost everyone. They retreated however, as they joined a much larger army that was going to attack the Egyptians. At minute 20:45, Egypt got defeated. That was a miserable game.

Tupi VS Netherlands

We already know all the bugs the Tupi have. And that doesn’t make favor them. The Tupi went II in 3:45, and 30 seconds later, the Dutch follow. At minute 9:42, a Tupi army led by Kermond the Pet Lizard marches towards the Dutch base. However, they quickly take a detour to attack a trade post instead. This gave the Dutch a time to respond, and the Tupi got butchered.  The Dutch decide to counter-attack immediately. The Tupi lack TC fire or tower fire, something all other AI use plentifully, so they have to rely on troops instead. Fortunately, the Voluntario shipment saved them from losing too much, but at a high price, since all the Voluntario are as good as gone too. 12:30, the Tupi have amassed another large force, and are harassing some Dutch hunters. After a few kills, the Dutch army came to defend. Again, the Dutch didn’t take many casualties, and again, they decide to counter-attack. They are III too. It doesn’t look good for the Tupi: they have lost their early momentum, they have no army to defend and a fort is getting placed at the foot of their base. Eventually, the Tupi went III and managed to get a force large enough to defeat the Dutch invaders. They however have no idea how to respond to the fort. First they want to attack it, then they retreat for unknown reasons, and then they attack again to defeat the fort. Minute 25, and both civs are IV. AI BUG: it doesn’t seem like the Tupi build artillery foundries to make Pomberos. At minute 26, two large armies clash in the center of the map. Of course, Tupi troop quality is poor, so they lost. The remains of the Dutch army storm the Tupi base. The Tupi seem to have gotten Imperial, surprisingly enough. It didn’t save them: a last army of the Dutch, full of Halberdiers and with 3 L’il Cannons, demolished them. I have no idea how to counter Halberdiers as the Tupi. Pomberos should work very well, as long as the enemy isn’t close. But when the halberdiers reach your Pomberos, then they will be gone, as they are frail to non-ranged attacks.

Chile VS Serbia

Where are the times that Chile was allowed to build artillery? They made artillery-only armies a few patches ago. Now, building artillery is disabled, so they have discovered that other kinds of units are trainable too. At minute 2:20, Chile went II. They went for the slowest age up immediately. Note that this time, they did gather their starting crates! That’s a big difference, and a good sign for Chile. I actually want them to win this, as Serbia is my observer civ. Now I had to choose a different civ to observe the game :-(   At 3:40, Serbia follows. Then my eyes spot something: there is still 100 wood from the starting crates lying around in the Chilean base. 7:12, Chile goes III, which means that a fort will soon get placed, which means that Serbia will lose a lot of time and men to siege it down, which means that Serbia will get into food-shortage sooner. RIP Serbia. At 8:40, A Serbian army clashes against the Chileans. Serbia did have the better army composition: macemen to counter the cavalry, and Hadjuks to counter the Civicos. After the victory, they retreated. I mean, sure, maybe your army is on the weak side, but killing a few Rotos will have a major impact on the Chileans, right? Then, the masterplan of the Serbians becomes clear: they had spotted the fort foundations, and they function like a magnet to the AI. They are waiting for the Fort Wagon to arrive! And indeed, the fort wagon got killed. Even better, Serbia went III, this at minute 10:25. A few troops that were send behind the fort wagon got killed. After that, the Serbians are now attacking a trade post. Talked about magnets. They managed to bring it down, and a Chilean army failed at repelling them. The few Hadjuks that survived are now marching towards the next trade post. Priorities. The Hadjuks got reinforced at minute 15, while the Chileans are throwing lots of Civicos against them. I believe they haven’t upgraded the Civicos yet. If I were Chile, I would use Carabineers, Escopeteros or Lancers to attack the Serbians. Civicos are too squishy, and are a poor choice against the macemen if you ask me. But it seems that the mass of Civicos defeated the Serbians. I think it’s the end of the Serbian dominance this game. There are no berries, and hunts are not plentiful, so surely they must be almost starving now. The Civicos approach the undefended Serbian base, but then they decide to turn back. Probably a polarity issue. And indeed, a fort is getting build near the Chilean base. I love how the fort will be built in the water. The Civicos that were going for that fort got slaughtered underway, as the Serbians had kept a force to defend that instead of their base. More Civicos arrive to attack the fort at minute 20. AI BUG: Serbian market is still not upgraded. Minute 23, and the first real attack on a base is happening. The Chileans lack any defensive force, and the towers are unupgraded. The Serbians, who have Ronin, are destroying it without opposition. Minute 27, the Serbian army is gone. Meanwhile it’s getting clear that the Serbians are on their last legs: almost all villagers are gathering wood. Chile has to survive a little longer, and then they will be able to easily bounce back and defeat the Serbians. But alas, it seems that too many Rotos had died, as seconds later the AI decides to capitulate. Which means that… Serbia goes to the next round!!! It’s crazy that handicapped civs like the Balkan ones can get that far. Why did Serbia win this? I know: 1) bad army composition from the Chileans 2) they did not upgrade the unit they were using 3) they did not build artillery 4) they did not upgrade their towers 5) they did not retreat villagers when one or two cavalry were attacking them (they lost at least 5 rotos to them, which equals to 10 villagers!). Very poor performance of the Chileans.

The guessing game! How did I fare? I gained 6 points, and David 4.
Summary: France, Ottomans, Netherlands and Serbia go to the next round, the third round of the second chances.

DayoftheNinja
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Zulu
Steam: Rudley Dudley

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm

Just thought I'd throw my hat in that I had no idea this was happening until I saw it in Discord but I find this super interesting and look forward to seeing more!

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:17 pm

I laugh a lot at the AI plans, it's a great read.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Colombia VS Argentina

In a past, both of these AI loved using artillery, and they did that quite efficiently. Colombia, about the only truly good AI that existed during Guest’s days, had the tendency of making a lot of infantry combined with artillery. Argentina on the other hand trained a lot of cavalry with some artillery. Both of these combos were not easy to deal with (unless you had good dragoons in the case of Argentina, but artillery still bypasses their armor, so it’s not ideal). I expect Colombia to win this game quite easily, because their AI has simply always been better, and Argentina suffers from a weak age II. But surprises can happen, we’ve had them before (*hint*Korea), and AI bugs can sometimes cause for major turnarounds (RIP Zulu).

So much for the overview. Sometimes I want to write them. Both civs went II at about the same moment (3:54). At minute 8:40, something catches my eye: the Argentinean army is mainly composed of Voluntarios. No, that’s not their UU, yes, it’s the Brazilian one. Apparently they think Brazilians can make them win instead of real Argentineans. There is a flaw though: Brazil is already eliminated because they’re so terrible. 9:38, Colombia advances to age III. They don’t have a large army, but they do have quite some Macheteros. A fine choice for against a cavalry civ. You can even use them to massacre the villagers, as you have a bonus versus them. I fail to see the advantage of having the cavalry tag on the gauchos. It’s a disadvantage if you ask me, you’re much more prone to dragoon or pikeman raids. The only advantage, being affected by Riding School, got removed. Wait, is there some fighting I see. Looks like I’ve distracted by my own interpretations of the Gaucho. Lots of lance-armed troops+Voluntarios are fighting some Colombians at minute 11. Argentina is III too. It seems that the Argentinean troops are is the scouting party for the fort wagon. But a larger Colombian army is approaching them from a weird angle. They had travelled almost into the Argentinean base, they probably raided a few vils, but then returned. I suspect it’s to stop that threatening army and fort. Indeed, the Colombians overwhelmed the Argentineans and the fort never saw a first stone. The Colombian army advanced further to the Argentinean town, but was ultimately too small to be of a threat. At minute 20:30, a large Colombian army with llaneros and some infantry are marching to the enemy town. They are very successful, and manage to bring down many buildings and manage to kill many villagers. Four minutes later, another large army enters the Argentinean base, just when the other army got defeated. This is clearly too much for Argentina to handle. While that army is continuing to siege down the base (focusing on the villagers that pass by, then focusing on the towers, then the other buildings, and the TC as last one, since the TC is obviously not the most important buildings at all), a small army makes a detour to kill many Gaucho wood choppers. The macheteros will come in handy for that task (remember my words about the gaucho?). At minute 30, no more Colombians are in the Argentinean base, but very few vils and buildings remain. Two minutes later, a decent force enters the ruined town again, and they hunted almost all the gauchos down to extinction. At minute 36, another large Colombian army attacks. Simon Bolivar, the great tactician, decided that it’s best to send troops to the side of the base, walk through the base and then attack the base from the back, while hiding in between all the buildings. Obviously a not so tactical idea, as Argentina gets free kills that way. More armies arrived, but the Colombians decide that maybe their plans weren’t the greatest, so some rethinking is needed. To limit the losses, they retreat almost everyone at minute 39:40. Colombia is (finally) age V at minute 41. Argentina is still III. Minute 42, the Colombians send another large army (with lots of cavalry). They did their best to destroy almost all buildings except the initial TC. After a few minutes of sieging, they go back to their home. Now I notice something strange: Argentinean buildings have a lot more HP, for example the Town Hall has 6000 HP. No idea why. At minute 46, the Colombians come back with a gigantic army and finally bring down the TC. Nah, I’m joking, of course they didn’t. Argentina gave up before that happened.
Some of the end-game graphs glitched after being screenshotted, so I may lack info. Argentina lost this game due to lower eco, probably worse KD and more importantly, they lost many vils at around minute 26, and lost lots of them at a small amount of time and never recovered. You see, the AI tends to run around with its vils a lot when they get sieged, instead of sending them to safe places like the TC.

Spain VS Korea

I had never thought that this would happen, but we have it. A duel we’ve seen before. In the previous one, Spain surprised everyone by failing to win against Korea, who doesn’t know how to build barracks or castles, and who only trains military units from III onwards. Will this happen again? Let’s find out!

Korea start out brilliantly by building the one wonder that is OP: the one with the whirlpool ability. The Red Beach map does contain water, right? And AI spams abilities like crazy, right? Well: both are false statements. The water is just flooded terrain, one can build buildings in it, and not ships. And the AI has no idea how to use abilities. But hey, at least the Korean AI advanced 30 seconds earlier than the Spanish AI? Surprisingly early, a large Spanish army enters the Korean town at minute 7:35. I know lots of players who would ragequit now. Korea doesn’t do that, they think that the 7 Gundos (that is the cavalry archer’s name?) are enough. With much difficulty, Korea killed those troops after two minutes. At minute 10, more Spanish storm into the almost undefended town. Many villagers are getting killed. Minute 13:20, Spain advances to age 3, while they are still attacking. Few seconds later, Korea also goes age 3. Now they will start producing cavalry, will they bounce back like previous time? Well, probably not, as their only stable got destroyed a minute later, and they lack any economy. The previous game also didn’t start in Koreas favor, but they did lose very few villagers back then. At minute 17:30, Spain sieged down the TC. A surprisingly competent game from Spain I must say. Korea is now eliminated.

Sioux VS Iroquois

Both are very aggressive civs. If I had to guess the winner, I would say Sioux has the advantage, as their AI has been quite competent so far. At minute 4:15, both civs are II. The Sioux are the first civ to perform a small attack, as they try to raid the Iroquois base. They had however enough troops, and thus the raid became a failure. At minute 9:30, something catches my eye: Sohei. Right, this map features the Zen temple natives, and they provide an awesome pikeman. It seems like the Iroquois AI has decided to train these instead of their own infantry (I don’t even know if they train their own infantry TBH). Will this be a deciding factor? Probably depends on if they build another TP, since that will double the limit, because I don’t think 12 or 15  Sohei will threaten the Sioux waves that much. Minute 11, two large armies armies, both with Cree Trackers, clash in the  middle of the map. The Iroquois seemingly had the stronger army, but they did lose. It was a close fight though, and the remaining Sioux units were too few to advance to the Iroquois town. Minute 15, the Iroquois are III. I am unsure if that was a good idea, because the Sioux are just sending a large army towards them. To my surprise, the Iroquois did have a giant army too. Where are they even getting the resources for making such large armies? Few moments later, the Sioux go III too. Their base is very undefended. Few buildings, few war huts, few units. To make things worse for them, the Iroquois decided to send their doomstack to them. And they have lots of Sohei! The Sioux struggled for a long time to defeat them, but the game is nearly over. While almost all buildings are still standing, most vils and military units got killed. The next wave demolished the Sioux TC after 26:07 minutes. The endgame statistics don’t lie: both civs made lots of military, but the Iroquois KD was much better.

Russia VS Austria

The first noteworthy event is Austria being III in 7 minutes. Yikes, talked about a fast fortress strategy. They have, however, absolutely no military units, only a large amount of villagers, which shows that they must’ve chosen the English Princess. The first military units of Austria are spotted at minute 11. A few Sohei, and two Magyar Hussars. At almost that time, a decent Russian army approached and crushed them. Russia promptly advances to the third age. The remaining Russian troops however walked a bit too long next to the base, so they got shot by Black Riders for too long, and the few troops that eventually started attacking did little damage. Austria does have no army for the moment. At minute 13, it seems that a tiny force tried to counter-attack the Russians, but that plan was a total joke. Meanwhile, the Russians are setting up a fort next to a mine where some Trosses are. Austria’s answer to this forward base doesn’t wait too long. They have a secret unit with siege armor, which they will use against the fort. You have an idea which unit this is? How well do you know Austria?

The answer is: the fort Schloss wagon. Yes, the brilliant AI is sending that hard-earned unit right towards the Russian fort. And there is no CPU-friendly way to solve this issue, it will always persist. Austria, having discovered that a fort wagon does not have an attack, decides to send the grenades. But four of the six Grenadiers decide to ignore the fort, walk right past it and attack a few Opolchenets that are coming. I didn’t even know the Russian AI knew how to train them. For people who don’t know the unit: it is literally a pikeman, but affected by the Russian trait, making them even worse. Seems like the four grenadiers were so terrified by the fort that they chose to attack an easier adversary. More Austrian reinforcements came, and the fort is turned into rumble at minute 17. Three minutes later, the Russians are sending troops towards the Austrians, while they harass their base with a few Hussars and Doppels. The army seems tiny, but don’t forget how powerful those few doppels are! The Russians didn’t manage to harm the Austrians. Minute 21, Austria goes IV, while a doppel is still doing random stuff in the Russian base. The Russians aren’t really spamming a lot of units if you ask me, they should’ve dealt with that attack since long. For 6 minutes, little happened, both civs just build up their armies and economies. At minute 28, the Russians (still age 3) are advancing with a large army. However, it’s largeness is deceiving: most of the troops are Opolchenets. They detoured to attack a Schloss under construction. This is the second time that Austria loses its fort due to being careless. Meanwhile, the Austrians had send a large army to the Russians. But a large Austrian army is very terrifying, as their troops quality is very high! The Russians decide to use their army (the one that destroyed the fort) to perform a counter-offensive. A very risky strategy, as unlike the Austrians, they haven’t upgraded their barracks. In the one minute that passed, both civs aged up without me noticing. So after 30 minutes, Austria is V while Russia is IV. It becomes very clear that the Austrian attack is way more devastating than the Russian one. The Russians are having lots of trouble with the few towers and Landsknechten the Austrians have. Two minutes later, Austria is completely invader-free and starts the construction of a new Schloss. At minute 34, Russia finally killed all the invaders, but now their situation is hopeless: most buildings and villagers are gone. A few minutes later, the Austrians invade again and send the Russians to the Gulag. They are eliminated from the AI game. Russia lost quite hard because they failed to gather resources well. After 10 minutes, a large gap started to appear, and that gap only increased as the game progressed, even if the Russians have been on the ones on the offensive for a long time. Reminds me of how I rush: I tend to play so aggressively then that I end up with resource shortages and get defeated. One of the explanations of this big economic gap is probably the number of villagers. At about minute 5, Russia had 15 while Austria had 30.

England VS Romania

Will we get two Balkan civs who advance to the next round? That would be very interesting! Unlike its previous performances, Romania seems to start well with treasure gathering. Remember, the AI thinks that the Raven can attack so the AI believes it has a large army to attack treasures. But Red Beach doesn’t contain many stronger treasures, so they’re safe. Romania is the first to go II, but England soon followed. Minute 8, England goes III. It seems like manors favor fast fortress strategies. At minute 10, a fort is getting constructed near the Romanians. The Romanians, who were about to attack the English, turned back and started attacking the fort a second after it got constructed. Very unfortunate! The English on the other hand use this moment of distraction to raid the hunting enemy villagers. Minute 12, Romania is age3. They had failed to destroy the fort though. Their villagers are still getting raided. The AI is very slow to react against raids, if they react to them at all. And the AI usually starts sending vils a few second later back to the place where you are raiding. Pro-tip: raid with two units or so if you play against the AI. The AI doesn’t seem to consider that threatening, and usually just continues gathering. The raiding army entered the Romanian base, and started attacking there. At minute 17, it finally got defeated, thanks to the upgraded caserns and the Mameluk shipment. However, how many vils do they still have? Right, about none. At minute 22, the English destroyed the Romanians due to abusing the AI weaknesses. And that explains the surprisingly bad performance of the Romanians this game, as versus the Aztecs they did really well.

India VS Mapuche

Both civs aged up before minute 4. Nothing special. Four minutes later, the Mapuche have a small raiding army near some hunters. But, like many times, the other party has also an army that is attacking. It will come to who hurts the other the most. The Indians have a much larger force, but that might also mean that the Mapuche have more defenders. The Mapuche also have the advantage that they will attack villagers who are not close to the base, while the Indians just storm towards Mapuche buildings. As you can expect, the Mapuche managed to kill a few villagers, while the Indians only killed some defenders and a building. The Mapuche are the first to III, at minute 10. Shortly afterwards, they start attacking the trade post just outside the Indian base. I wouldn’t focus to much on that if I were them, but hey, the Mapuche like spamming the white horse dude, who are weak against Sohei, so maybe it’s part of their late-game strategy? After burning the TP to the ground, they went towards the Indian base, but India quickly dealt with them. At minute 17, India goes on the offensive. They have lots of Rajputs, and they have no trouble with the few defenders the Mapuche have. It took some time (and villager casualties) to repel those troops. At minute 18, Mapuche is IV while India goes III shortly afterwards. The Mapuche send a small army to the rebuild TP, but get caught by a large Indian army full of Rajputs and some Urimi. Fortunately for the Mapuche, that army didn’t go for the attack, and instead retreated back to their base. This gave the Mapuche the opportunity to get their Puacara safely to the spot they wanted: close to that cursed TP. But wait, why doesn’t the lama go away? Oh god, there is repentant lanceiro negro on the foundations. Mapuche cannot get those, so that must be an Indian unit! That one unit killed the lama that was transporting the whole fort. Minute 26, India goes IV, and is not on par with the Mapuche regarding age. At the same moment, a large Indian army sneaked to the side of the Mapuche base, and is now massacring all the Mapuche working on the plantations. The Mapuche had quickly noticed that, and their defending force acted very fast to them. However, few moments later, another large Indian force arrived, this time at the front of the base. The Mapuche just don’t get a break now. The Mapuche, exhausted, are unable to deal with them. After several minutes, some Indians are still sieging in their base, and a line of units is coming across the map. This will be it.

Or not. The AI instead decides to retreat all of them before they even did anything of notice to the Mapuche town. Will they go to hibernate like the Zulu did. Will the Mapuche just bounce back like previous time? Probably not, as two minutes later, the Indians come back with a more organized army. India goes V, and nearly destroys all of the Mapuche, but just when they were about to start sieging the TC, they retreat. Three minutes later, they come back, kill a few buildings and units, and retreat again. Three minutes later, the Indians send their army for the millionth time to the Mapuche, and take them away almost the moment they arrived. It seemed that one villager was about to make a TP somewhere far away, so the Indians decided to send their whole army to greet that one villager. I’m sure they should’ve send even more. At minute 51, after the greeting ceremony, the army comes back, and decides that there is no one to greet, so they go back to their home town. The Mapuche are in no position to win the game with points, but it would be a shame for the Indians if they win that way. Anyway, at minute 54, the Mapuche decide to build a new TP on that far-away site. Like if the foundations are magnet, the Indian army joyfully marches to this place, as they get a new greeting ceremony. An less lucky army is sent towards the empty Mapuche territory. Very dissatisfied, they start sieging, while only 5 minutes are on the clock. The Mapuche, who are annoyed by these greeting ceremonies, decide to just give up.

That concludes the second round of the second chance.
Eliminated: Belgium, Egypt, Tupi, Chile, Argentina, Korea, Sioux, Russia, Romania and Mapuche.
Advances to the third round of the second chance, where they will be joined by the losers of the third round: France, Ottomans, Netherlands, Serbia, Colombia, Spain, Iroquois, Austria, England and India.

I had guessed 4 of the 6 games right, so I get +8 points. David tried to differtiate his guesses from mine, some with success (Iroquois and Spain), but usually it didn’t end like he expected. He gains only +4 points.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm

For the third round:
Map: Black Forest
Duels:
Italy - Mexico         --- Italy
Aztec - Paraguay  --- Paraguay
Japan - Ethiopia   --- Ethiopia
Inca - Germany    --- Inca
Portugal - Malta   --- Malta

DavidIbragimov
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:01 pm

This is proof that the AI will never overcome Humanity.

Alright, this time I will make honest, personal choices on who IMO has the best chances....
1.Italy......Meh, Mexico is firstly a defensive civ, and secondly arent very AI sucessful...
2.Aztec....Never underestimate them, are pretty devastating late game.
3. Ethiopia...has one of the best AI's in the game and greatly abuses the power of export.
4.Germany......If They set up their factory early, all those grenadiers will help immensily.
5.Portugal.....Booms, Ordenanza, and Mercenaries, the trinity of doom!

So yeah, short and simple reasonings.
(Sorry for sloppy writing, typing on mobile)
Breadfruit.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 am

I know, everyone has been thinking “finally, a new part! Wasn’t he in vacation? Didn’t he have lots of time to spare?”. I had waited a long time to record new matches purely because I thought the new patch was going to be out soon. Looks I was wrong. I will start with bad news however: I will be in abroad soon, so I will be unable to record more games soon. Expect about 3 weeks before a next part comes. But let’s jump to action now: Round 3!

Italy VS Mexico

It has been a long time ago since these civs have done any fighting in the tournament. To be specific, the previous two rounds they’ve been in were on a different patch! And that patch came with a change: Mexico starts with a presidio wagon instead of a pre-build presidio. AI BUG: Mexican AI doesn’t use the presidio wagon. Oh well, seems like Mexico is crippled already from the start. But how well did they fare? Or is that AI that skillful to win even with this handicap? However, there is more: Italy starts with a TC wagon. Nice outdated code from the time that AI were given different personalities. Obviously this is something random, and should be considered a bug, but here, it’s fine, this whole tournament is about how random things are, and how stupid the AI can be.

Italy is the first to age 2, obviously, at 3:30. Ten seconds later, Mexico follows. How even? Minute 7:45, Italy performs a first attack. RIP Mexico. Nah, I’m kidding, pikemen are squishy/trashy and Mexico has troops, so they were totally fine. Minute 8, Italy goes III. This means that they can use their town center wagon! Mexico, knowing they are in a huge disadvantage, goes for an attack. They are doing very well, the Italian base is only very lightly guarded. The towers may become a problem though, the Apache riders aren’t exactly good siegers. But sieging isn’t the goal of the Mexicans, they need to kill as many villagers to cripple the Italian economy. They were doing ok, but the fort wagon managed to slip away. Minute 10, Mexico comes back to raid the Italian base. The Italians still have not an army. That’s the issue of a fast fortress: you sacrifice economy to get better  shipments. The Mexicans seem to do a good job killing the villagers, but Italy has scattered them all around their base, so I doubt enough got killed to harm their economy much. Minute 12, the previous army was only barely defeated when more Mexicans arrive. Mexico is doing an exquisite job here. They are their best to overcome their weaknesses like a real pro.  But then I spot something: a backdoor squad of Italy is attacking the Mexicans, and IDK how many villagers got killed, nor do I know when they arrived, but Mexico lacks any defenses. They even have no towers there, nor the presidio. Minute 15, more Italians arrive, who eventually siege down the Mexican TC. Mexico is defeated after 17:38. The statistics don’t lie: Mexico had major economic troubles, their villager high was 19.

Aztecs VS Paraguay

Paraguay starts this game marvelously by forgetting to gather the 500 wood crate. Of course, he starts chopping wood with all the villagers because he really needs it. I guess trees provide better building material than firewood? The Aztecs are the first to hit the second age, at a late 4:13. Paraguay follows soon after. Paraguay has however serious troubles: his villagers are mining while they are between sweet berry bushes. Sweet berry bushes not only slow down, but they also damage entities, so they might die soon. Or not, since this is not Minecraft. First attack is performed by the Aztecs at 8:40. At the same time, they go III too. Now that’s efficiency. However, the attack accomplished nothing. Primeros are strong against infantry, and the Aztecs have not much choice than to build infantry. The Primero counters the whole civ. Fortunately for them, Primeros remain weak units, and the Paraguayan AI dislikes building all the barracks and stables ASAP, so the Aztecs should not expect waves of Primeros. Minute 9:30, and Paraguay does a minor attack, but that one ended quickly. Two minutes later, the Aztecs do a sneak attack and threatened a few villagers, but all in all it hurt the Paraguayans only a little. Paraguay, who went III during that raid, managed to save the fort wagon they shipped despite the enemy troops. Question is, why could this raid even happen? You guessed it right: they went on the offensive themselves. The large army overwhelmed the few forces the Aztecs had, and the Aztec economy fell to standstill for a rather long time. Meanwhile, lots of soldiers are being massed near the Paraguayan forward base. At minute 15, both civs decid to meet in the middle of the map. The Aztecs see the giant Paraguayan army, they know they will lose the encounter, but they don’t get demoralized: they fight back, but get crushed. The almost intact Paraguayan force advances to the Aztec base, and instead of crushing the Aztecs, they get crushed. Reason: jaguar knights. They are strong VS the two free units of Paraguay. Paraguay never sleeps however (maybe except when they oppose the Haitians), so moments later they launch another assault. It did have troubles with the Aztec army, and only managed to kill all Aztec soldiers.  That did open up everything for the next swarm, and from this moment on the Paraguayans kept swarming the Aztecs while they couldn’t fight back. The Aztecs lost at minute 26. They probably lost because they didn’t anticipate to the Primeros, who are quite potent against the war hut units of the Aztecs. Paraguay managed to get a positive KD this game, which is surprising even if you count in the villager casualties.

Japan VS Ethiopia

We all know how this one is going to end. Ethiopia, much like Malta, relies on stalling the timer as much as possible to win with the most points after 1 hour. I might skip a few battles here and there to shorten things up.
Ethiopia is the first to advance in age, after only 2:26 minutes. That’s very fast. Japan does the exact same 30 seconds later. At minute 7:30, Japan is the first to attack. They have several Samurai and some gunners. Nothing too big. Ethiopia has literally no troops though, they are most probably doing an FF. More worryingly, they also have no garrison barracks. I guess TC fire will have to do the trick. But the Ethiopian AI is completely dumb, it doesn’t even retreat it’s vils. The Ethiopians do age up, and get a few porters, but those didn’t get the time needed to build those insanely bulky towers. The Japanese are ravaging the whole Ethiopian town while very few villagers are inside the TC, meaning that the TC does very little damage. At minute 11:50, the Japanese destroyed the Ethiopian TC with the very first army they had send. This must’ve been a record elimination.

Inca VS Germany

Free Uhlans versus the Huaminca spammer. Yeah, RIP Germany. Grenadiers might save them, but Germany doesn’t like Krupps that much. Both civs age up at respectable times. However, Germany does an insane age III: 6:22. That might be big! This gives them access to Jägers, who are strong against the Incan Huaminca. The Incans are the first to face an attack against a base. The German AI makes good use of this distraction, as they can now safely build the fort near the Incans. The attack might’ve been of no real damage, having a fort that close is important as it denies lots of resources. Minute 11, the Incans are age 3 too. After a minor attack, they decide to counter-attack with a force containing only Bocafuegos. That of course failed. But more importantly, the Pucara llama that came behind got killed too. No fort for the Incans! Thus far, Germany is doing almost everything right, except that they should really upgrade those Uhlans. Minute 16, and Germany is attacking again, but those attacks still remain rather fruitless. Two minutes later, the Incans assault the German fort and burn it to the ground. Minute 22, the Incans perform their first attack against the German base. This game is turning into the Incan’s favor! The Germans did have a Krupp factory, finally, so the Grenadiers helped a lot against the Incan infantry. Minute 26, a small German force get intercepted while they go age IV. And at literally the same time, the Incans also age up to IV, the game is clearly not yet decided. The Incans have low troop quality, so they are more likely to lose. That is, assuming that the Germans will use their superior troops. Minute 27, a large battle occurs in the middle of the map, while the Incans are sending their second pucara llama. The Germans failed to last long enough to kill the llama however, and the Incan fort near the German base is now a fact. Minute 29, the Incans send a gigantic force towards the Germans, who don’t have nearly as many troops. What are you doing Bismarck? Somehow, the Incans do struggle with the few German troops. Apparently Colorados, the Bolivian mercenary, are fucking beasts: they have over 400 HP and have 40% melee armor. Since the Incan AI doesn’t build the musket guy (cause he sucks), this means that they are incredibly difficult to take down. The first heavy cannons the Germans send from the HC also helped a lot. Minute 33, more Incans arrive, but not as many, and those soldiers decide to retreat, since there is no point in sending free XP to the Germans. Then I spot something horrific. Something that surpasses the frightening  appearance of the Dullahan.
The Incans mass all their troops in the middle of the map. The Germans hadn’t moved their heavy cannons a bit too. From minute 35 onwards, absolutely nothing happened. Both civs chopped wood, both civs went imperial, and neither did really move any military unit. Only due to auto-attack range, a few casualties occurred. After a painful 25 minutes watching the AI being almost completely inactive, someone wins the game.
Germans: 2280 points VS Incans: 2919 points

This game was the most stupid one I’ve seen so far. Congrats to the Incans?

Portugal VS Malta

Noooo. Not Malta. Pls. Much like the Ethiopian AI, they rely on points victories to win. Once they hit age 4, they send trebuchets, which they don’t move, which means they can’t die, which means they waste pop on units guarding the TC. Will I fall asleep during this game? Let’s find out!
Both civs age up at ordinary times. Minute 9, and Malta sends a small force to annoy the Portuguese. Malta sure is a great rush civ. The force managed to kill a few vils and the whole Portuguese army, but fortunately for them, there were towers who finished them off. Minute 11, Malta goes III while they also have a large army heading towards the Portuguese. The Portuguese still have barely any troops defending. Reason: they are going for an attack themselves. But that attack wasn’t a real success. Neither was the Maltese attack I think. There are few villagers in the Portuguese town, which may indicate that many of them got killed. On the other hand, there seems to be a lot behind their base, maybe all their vils are over there? Minute 13, a new Maltese assault happens. They are very committed at destroying the competition before the trebuchets will happen. During this attack, the Portuguese age up to III. The Maltese have accomplished little so far. Minute 16, the Maltese start to annoy the Portuguese again. Together with the army are two culverins. Such a great unit, the culverin. Kills boats and artillery, and does nothing else. Problem is, if artillery can get close enough, they two shot culverins too, since they bypass the armor. And the heavy cannon type artillery, like rockets, even win against culverins 1V1. Don’t forget that those units have good range too. Culverins are incredibly bad. Only good VS ships or veryyy late game when someone decides to mass artillery. Sorry for this digression. The culverins were the only part of the Maltese army that survived, and they are now sieging the fort. But shitty as they are, they only do 40 damage per shot. Curiously enough, the Portuguese didn’t to them until a new wave of Maltese arrived at minute 23. Minute 28, more Maltese. The Portuguese are greatly lacking an army. But then, Malta advances to age IV. It’s a race against the clock for the Maltese AI. If they slow down even more, then they will get stuck into their own stupidiness, at least they managed to destroy the fort. But at minute 31, the Maltese invade yet again, this time with war hammers. This attack proved to be very successful, and the Portuguese lose their starting TC after 33:50 minutes. They probably lost because they had to constantly replace their lost villagers, who demand lots of food, food that couldn’t go towards military. And when food sources became scarce, it meant that they were about to die.

That wraps up the third round!
Going to the fourth round are:
Italy, Paraguay, Japan, Incas, Malta

Mexico, Aztecs, Ethiopia, Germany and Portugal will meet France, Ottomans, Netherlands, Serbia, Colombia, Spain, Iroquois, Austria, England and India in the third round of the second chances.

Points-wise: I got 4 correct, granting me +7 points, while David gains only 2…

Finishing words: excuse me for any major grammatical errors. I don’t want to proof read over 2300 words every time.