This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

AI game (or at least a try)

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:24 pm

I've started doing an AI game, like how it's done in civaigames on reddit. Some people, including me, are wondering who could be the best AI. I know that it fluctuates a lot, like the Inca are less spamming huamincas, which makes them weaker. I hope that I will be able to give civs a second chance, but I might lose interest/have not the time. The first round has at least been "recorded" (screenshots have been taken). I don't plan narrating all pictures like on civaigames. I will probably use google photos to upload the screens.
The rules I am using:
- All games are 1V1, but at one point I might test team skills when few civs are still competing.
- Expert AI, very high HC level
- A civ is eliminated when its first TC is taken down, or when it surrenders. Games also stop when they have lasted 1h, and the civ with the highest score wins.
- No tournament brackets. All matches will always be randomized. If somehow one AI wouldn't have an adversary, then it goes to the next round. If the AI has ever had this before, then the match ups will be rerandomized. Or, in case I forgot: lucky AI to have that twice.
- No updates during a round. For the first round, the Romanian AI will be enabled again.
- New rule 3/5/2019: If due to an update new AI civs are available, then they will immediately join the AI game.

To couple some sort of game to this, people can post a guess of who will win, earning points:
+2 if a clean win
+1 if a points win
Warning: any edited post does not count. A second post will also not count. In case you want to correct something, bad luck then.
I will be the first to post a guess.

Hope I didn't forget something.
Last edited by Circle of Ossus on Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: AI game (or at least a try)

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:24 pm

First round:
Duels
Results 1-3Results 4-8Results 9-13Results 14-16Results 17-20
Second Chances:
(at a later point)

Second round:
Duels
Results 1-4
Last edited by Circle of Ossus on Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:34 pm

First round, with my guessed winner next to it:
MAP: Borneo. A well balanced map, with everything (natives, trade route etc) and with plenty of animals, trees, mines and berries.
1.  England VS France   --- England
2.  Japan VS Mapuche   --- Mapuche
3.  Portugal VS Peru      --- Peru
4.  Habsburgs VS Ottomans --- Habsburgs
5.  Aztec VS Zulu           --- Aztecs
6.  Colombia VS India    --- Colombia
7.  Sioux VS Inca           --- Inca
8.  Paraguay VS Haitie  --- Paraguay
9.  Tupi VS Canada       --- Tupi
10. Korea VS Spain       --- Spain
11. Greece VS Argentina --- Argentina
12. The States VS Italy  --- The States
13. Brazil VS Belgium    --- Brazil
14. Mexico VS Iroquis    --- Mexico
15. Romania VS Egypt   --- Egypt
16. Serbia VS Bulgaria   --- Serbia
17. Australia VS Germany --- Germany
18. China VS Ethiopia    --- China
19. Malta VS Netherlands --- Malta
20. Russia VS Chile       --- Russia
Last edited by Circle of Ossus on Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIbragimov
Cangaceiro
Cangaceiro
Favorite Civilization: Zulu

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:43 pm

1. Is this like a community event?
2. What do the points give you?
3. If this is a thing, will there ever be tournament ladders?
4. Where can we post of who we think will win?
5. Why no Zulu?
"Once you go Zulu you never go back."

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm

1. Community event? Uh. Who knows.
2. Points give you points. The more points you have, the better you predicted the AI matchups, and the more chance you have to win.
3. Tournament ladders for the AI? XD  I'm assigning the matchups randomly, no laddering.
4. Here.
5 . Zulu play VS Aztecs

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Hmmm, absolutely no interest in this minigame+AIgame.
I guess that the results, and a small overview of the game, will be the thing people want? It does spare me a lot of extra work. No slideshow then. Which is fine, I can use the time.
One of the coming days I will start posting the results.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 am

England VS France
France was quite aggressive, and killed off the British fort wagon during his attacks. The British AI was better at aging up, going V before France want IV. The Brits did quite some Highlander spamming. The game lasted much longer than should because the Brits tended to attack a bit the French base, and then retreat back to their own base for no good reason. By just killing off hunter, wood choppers and miners, France lost all its eco and resigned after 36 minutes, even if his base was still in rather good shape.
+2 for me! Yes, I will be the only one participating XD

Japan VS Mapuche
Mapuche lost some councillors early due to treasures. Japan on the other hand started using a rising paddy instead of gathering its berries, which did not prevent them from being II in 3 minutes. Even before minute 8, Japan did already an attack, with some economic damage to the Mapuche. 4 minutes later, the Japanese re-attacked (with Sohei for siege damage). Before minute 13, Japan went III. They were clearly having a very strong game. In the mean time, the Mapuche were still experiencing the second attack. They had lost the majority of their villagers, as the AI tends to retreat only a few of them into the TC, and newly created villagers also don't go into the TC. At minute 21, the Japanese launched a new attack, and defeated the helpless Mapuche after 23 minutes.
This was a result that I didn't expect. I thought that the Mapuche were much more spammier and aggressive than that. I don't think that Japan will get far in this AI game, as in my experience they had not been a spammy AI. That opinion is based on older patches, so I might be wrong. Like with this performance.

Peru VS Portugal
I expected Peru to rush the hell out of Portugal. To my surprise, it were the Portuguese who launched the first attack. Even if they suffered a lot from this first attack, they tried their best to attack them back. Just when Peru did an attack, the Portuguese were doing the same thing, and they were much more dangerous at that, probably because of the Ordonenza that were mixed with the attacking forces. The Portuguese managed to V before Peru could go IV. Instead of quickly destroying the Peruvians, they did the same thing the Brits did: attack a bit, and then go back to the base. They also did not upgrade their Ordonenzas, even if they had used a lot of them. The Portuguese main unit was the Halberdier. After 54 minutes, the game ended with the defeat of Peru.
I'm not doing great points-wise O_o

DavidIbragimov
Cangaceiro
Cangaceiro

Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Hmmmmm.........this could be used greatly for fixing how some computers function. Seeing how the computer reacts in different situations against other computers can help you guys maybe fix or improve the game tactics  of how each civ might function.
P.S. 
- When doing this tournament, were all the AI on the same characteristics? (Saw on main screen something about the way how the AI might play)?
- When you said post here, did you literally mean here? If not, the link isn't working, if you did, Than is there an individual topic page for the guesses?

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 pm

IDK what you mean with same characteristics. All AI were on expert level, with no handicap. There is nothing else involved that can cause "characteristics".
See other post. People weren't interested in slideshows, nor in the minigame I proposed. So instead I am just posting some summaries.
Oh, and if someone wants to join the minigame suddenly: I have now only two points. It's not too late to join ;-) Just post your guesses here of who will win the duels.

DavidIbragimov
Cangaceiro
Cangaceiro

Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Ok, what I meant was personallity traits. (My bad). 

For 1 trait, it makes them continuously spawn military, while honest is more attack, than rebuild. Not sure if its important but it might've slightly tipped the gameplay because of different AI playing styles.

I am interested, no official game but its nice to predict from experience and theory. I am guessing the next match is Habsburgs VS Ottomans......

Fought against both, and believe that the Habsburgs will win, here are some reasons.....
-Will get very,very,very powerful late game. Otto's only chance will be to finish them early game.
- All their troops are very good in attack. For Otto, I find them a little too weak on health.
- Demicannons and Winged Hussars...........Should say everything, Too OP.
-Age up combinations work too well........Increase gather rate, banks, winged hussars, and Increased fort HP.

In conclusion, unless the Ottomans play it smart, they have no chance of winning.