This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Statement from a player regarding recent salt

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Hey,

So I was reading some threads here because I recently downloaded the latest patch and wanted to see what people think about the new additions, changes and fixes and... geez, so much salt.
Why do so many people here who have a suggestion or an opinion just act like complete idiots when sharing it? It's like they feel empowered to insult and be all "ARE YOU FKING KIDDINGME????" just because they dislike this and that or they feel something is wrong. One thread of some guy complaining about the chineese made me start writing a reply and, after realising it wasn't the only case, I decided I might as well make it a post. So... here:

If the civ/mechanic/gameplay/thing is not exactly as you want it to be, maybe it's because
(and this is my guess):

1. it wouldn't be practical or coherent in the context of the game and it's mechanics (wouldn't make sense an all ranged cavalry civ or something like that, even if it's historically accurate for the bermuda traingle civ or whatever)
  2. the devs don't know in depth about every single civ and it's history (none of us do).
  3. the resources needed to make some changes just don't exist (voices, models, textures, etc.) and the devs can't bothered/don't know how to do make them themselves
  4. it would make the game boring, unappealing, plain and dull (as a colombian i'm pretty sure we don't spontaniously generate food out of thin air (i wish), but is a nice mechanic to have in a game that sets the civ apart from otherwise similar ones).
  5. this is not an educational game. Just like in some cultural products (tv shows, movies, literature, etc.), you want it to be based on facts to make it more believable and compelling; that doesn't mean you have to stick 100% to history because then your take on it would be non-existent. If someone legitimately wants to see an accurate portray of any civ, they'll just look it up somewhere else; people are not naive enough to think aoe3 (and most games, for that matter) are an adequate way to know in depth about any culture's history. It sure can be interesting when playing, but it's more about sparking your interest than anything else.
  6. they just haven't got to it, but maybe, if they can and you ask politely, they will.
Finally, I want to point out that for a free game, made by a handfull of people in their spare time (i think), you can only ask so much. Enjoy the mod, have fun, and don't give the devs a hard time. No one needs that from you. If you find that impossible to do, then maybe you should take a break from the game. Who knows? maybe if you come back they'll have added the thing you wanted.

And finally finally, it's a game. You shouldn't get upset over it.
Thanks.

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Re: Statement from a player regarding recent salt

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:48 am

Damn, never in my life I could have said it better

Adoleho
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am

You should pin this or something

Also  a shame there is no like button or something like that

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm

Wow, it's really cool to see this got pinned! Thanks Wol team, keep up the good work!