This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect
Favorite Civilization: Chinese

Chinese Rework Needed

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 pm

The original Chinese civilization was.... displeasing to say the least. I had hoped this mod would fix some of the "why bother playing this civilization" aspect but after playing the reworked Chinese civilization in this mod.... IT NEEDS TO BE REWORKED. I wrote a lot about why and how. But the forums is glitching out on me and it didn't go through. Not in the mood for rewriting it all; need sleep.

P.S.
Now I have had some sleep, let me elaborate. First, I am ethnically Chinese. I study some let's just say happenings during this period. So I get butt hurt easily for this period(actually when it's Chinese history this is the only time period I get butt hurt about whether it be how ridiculously stupid the Qing were or how we declined during this period).

The original game was already a mishmash of whatever suits the creators' fancy. But with this mod, it intends to convert it to a further time, eras, and establishment. This mod is set in the Qing dynasty times of China (for this time period and regarding this mod's Chinese civilization). Now, let me open up the game and go through it, so I can write about why it's so annoying, offensive, or otherwise not worth playing.

We Chinese know how much the Empire was breadfruit in the later years. So seeing it get botched for a game meant to be playable and enjoyable as a game? Yeah, not appealing.

I will get to where it needs to be reworked, the listing will not necessarily be in order.

The first problem I have is that Li Hongzhang is the faction representative now. Of all people to switch to, I do not understand why. He isn't even the first to try to modernize, his teacher started what he will eventually do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeng_Guofan (Wikipedia is in general a bad source, but come on). " William T. Rowe describes him as the "de facto representative of Qing control in most of central and south China" during the 1850's and 60's." So yeah. I mean otherwise GIVE US YUAN SHIKAI

Second, is that you did not change his voice and personality in the game. It's ridiculous. The base-game was already 'racist' enough making Emperor Kangxi an effeminate man. I only stomached it because they mixed in "enlightenment". Which in history was actually somewhat truthful. 

Now, the home cards is ridiculous. It should be easy to fix. The Northern and Western Refugee cards should be renamed to "Family Registration" and 2 or even "Family Registration" and the second one "Ancestral Registration". As I don't see why refugees would suddenly line outside a village to work for the Qing after being shipped from the home city. Now, if Imperial records made the individuals come out and be employed, then it makes sense (I can't really write how it does because it's dependent on a rudimentary understanding of Imperial China and most probably wouldn't know about it). It could also be an "Urbanization Edict" or something along those lines. The "Great Migration" card is basically fine. It tells how the poor and displaced had to move during this time period. The above named cards though doesn't make sense. It was mostly Central and Southern China that was wrecked, Western China was briefly lost(leading to today's world shitting on China and saying it's control of Western regions as illegitimate). Northern refugees? The banana. Most of the North rode it out. I haven't read anything about great migrations from war, famines, and other factors.

The "Nomadic Settlement" and "Nomadic Expansion" is a slap to the face. It should be something like the Urbanization Edict I wrote above. BUT NOT NOMADIC SETTLEMENT AND EXPANSION, like are you kidding me? Late period Qing dynasty China, had nomadic settlements expanding or even a greater expansions hinted at by the second card?

YOU NEED TO COMPLETELY REWORK THE EXPLORERS. First, the Qing dynasty knew the power of Shaolin monks and the adherents to Buddhism(who were numbering a lot) was dangerous. Shaolin monk masters as we get in this game wouldn't be traveling outside of China FOR the Qing dynasty. You might argue they were coerced... They are masters in their sects and if push came to shove such as the Qing threatening to burn their temples, monasteries, and some such down. They wouldn't help; they would double down and rebel just as the Qing feared.

We should instead get "Mandarin Envoys" or "Regional Guides". Don't forget the Qing Guanmao for the Mandarin Envoys(in-game resource would be the Manchu horse archers' hats).

And this is what utterly broke my enthusiasm. 

Why is the Chu Ko Nu still here? It's Qing dynasty, this breadfruit was out of favored by the Song and Ming dynasty(between volley firing and powerful crossbow designs; the Chu Ko Nu couldn't compete). Sure, some examples are said to be used up until the Qing dynasty, but those are far and few in-between.

Tigerman and Tigermen? WHAT THE banana. Like it baffles me. During this period as THE FUCKING QING. You would have swordsmen with shields "dao and dun". But if you need a look to go for. 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 4FzZbOfC2A
The hats. The ceremonial Qing brigantine armor for officers and commanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WngHq_rxdxE
01:39 For this look instead.

The Tigerman seems like regional militias stuck in their regions. It also looks like a South East Asian mercenary instead of what the QING DYNASTY would have(if they could help it).

Btw, I don't know why in this movie the Taiping rebels can arm like 1/3 of their army with muskets and have a significant artillery presence in this battle. Oh well, movie plot.

The archers running behind the sword and shieldmen firing on the move? Brilliant. Very much possible, just not realistic when you don't have DISCIPLINE AND VERY WELL TRAINED TROOPS DOING IT. In the movie you see essentially rabble doing it. So yeah. *Cough* But I digress.

Oh, and going from there. Where's our Manchu(bow) Archers on foot? The way you see with those bows? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... IERS_2.jpg (Just the pic, don't bash on me for Wikipedia). TAKE OUT THE CHU KO NU FOR AN ARCHER UNIT WITH A QING DYNASTY ERA BOW.

GET RID OF THE XIANGRU. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THIS. It pisses me off when they die. I don't like hearing or seeing it. But you want a legitimate reason instead of my butt hurt protective Chinese male ass? The description says they are armed with muskets but act as skirmishers with the range of skirmishers.... With antique muskets... Firing at the ranges of European skirmishers with their more modern RIFLES. They also wouldn't be Qing dynasty formal soldiers much less soldering in their employ. They were more regional militias defending near their homes if THEY WEREN'T ALSO REBELLING. 

GO BACK IN TIME. WHY IS THE TIGERMAN GOOD AT FIGHTING CAVALRY? WHAT THE banana? MORE LIKE INFANTRY. Get that breadfruit straight/right. Sword and shield combo good at fighting cavalry? WHERE'S MY CHANGDAO SWORDSMEN. I LOVE THE TERRITORIAL ARMY COMBO I SPAMMED THAT breadfruit LIKE THE ONLY THING I COULD DO (basically was all I could really do). The Arquebusiers for the Xiangru? Disappointed. The Arquebusiers were essentially ALMOST NOTHING WRONG. It was like legitimately the one thing the original creator of the game got right. Except it's use as a skirmisher (they were the Qing dynasty main firearm troops around if it wasn't for the Green Standard Army).

THEN THERE'S THIS breadfruit. BOXERS? WHAT THE banana. WHY WOULD THEY BE YOUR ANTI-CAV SPEAR UNIT? Rebels in the employ of the Qing? THEY FOUGHT THE LIKES OF THEM FOR LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THE 19TH CENTURY. The Boxers were rebels to both foreigners and the Qing. After being abused by the Westerners, the Qing dynasty under Dowager Empress Cixi was reluctant but eventually consented to authorizing Boxer activity in whatever the banana they wanted to do to the foreigners. The Qiang Pikemen of the original game is actually accurate(game wise). Except they should be renamed to "Qing Qiang(men)". Qiang is long spear(meaning pike). Mao is a spear. So Qiang Pikemen is redundant like a retard. The spear you see use is also a martial art spear (was still use in combat generally). But they wouldn't be PIKEmen then. The original game's Qiang Pikemen's look should be the later age of a Qing Qiangmen for this mod. While starting off, stats wise should be decent and looking like this mod's BOXER'S late game look(kinda like the base game now I think about it). White shirt with a Qing hat though. Don't forget the Qing queue/cue.

WHAT THE banana IS THE NIEN RIDERS. I legit need one of you to provide your source and inspiration for it. It pissed me off so much. Where's the Banner Lancers? You give us Nien Riders? (What Year Riders)? (What Sticky Riders?) Bamboo spear.... Thanks. I feel like everybody is shitting on us Chinese. Can't even get "proper" wood for their spears now. We all fucking exotic and breadfruit. Using bamboos now.

I have no problem with the Banner Cavalry... EXCEPT THEY AIN'T USING A BOW. The musket they are using also only has 8 range? What the banana? You mean to say the MUSKET they are using is so inferior it doesn't have the range of 12 like a musketeer of the old age?.... Yeah, sure. By the way, during this period; they aren't elites (they are basically parasites; draining China). They shouldn't actually be powerful. And weirdly enough, if you gave the option to train them singly I would train the Banner Cavalry only (only decent unit, really, for the Chinese civilization). 

MANDARIN DUCK SQUAD HOME CITY CARD? WHAT THE banana. No, THEY SHIP GREEN STANDARD BANNER MUSKETEERS and a complement of Qiang users. Not some fucking Chu Ko Nus and a FLAMETHROWER. I'm surprised this is still around for, you know. But don't take it out. Just make a Foundry building for MODERNIZING QING DYNASTY CHINA AS THEY DID TRY. So the flamethrowers could still be around. PEN HUO QI. I legit got bored yesterday and just spammed the flamethrowers; FUCKING SATISFYING AFTER ALL THE STUPID breadfruit.

The "Standard Army" should be mix of sword and shieldmen and archers.
The "Old Han Army" is *supposedly* what some called the Green Standard Army... MEANING MUSKETMEN AND ARTILLERYMEN. Otherwise(Old Han Army name-wise), it should a complement of crossbows (BUT NOT CHU KO NUS), spearmen/sword with shieldmen. During the Han dynasty, sword and shield combo gain prominence if it wasn't for troops armed with a spear. 
WHY IS THE MING ARMY THREE TIGERMAN AND 2 MANCHUS? DO YOU NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. The Ming dynasty employed Chinese light cavalry trained to fight like their nomadic counterparts in the North. "Manchu" soldiers were few compared to them. The Tigerman should be Langren or Wolf Warriors(from the South) since you guys like focusing on the South of China as if they were the only Chinese.
The Ming Army should be something like Folangjis and a light cavalry unit with bow(horse archer) but not MANCHUS. That breadfruit is a throw back to the mercenary unit.
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/s ... re%20lance Or this instead of Folangjis
NOOO, MY BELOVED TERRITORIAL ARMY GOT WRECKED. Switch out the Xiangru for a more appropriate unit. The Boxers wouldn't be the unit for a territorial army. They are troops recruited locally to serve locally there. Meaning something like Chinese Militias. Or basically anyone willing(volunteering to become a soldier usually for pay and food). Would be a combo of swordsmen and musket armed troops. 
Mongolian Army...... Sure.... Where's the cavalry only selection? Why is Tigerman included? Hand mortars are fine. It was in the base game and Mongolians were renown for their siege. But then where's the Mongolian Lancer or Mongolian Horse Archer? Get a reworked Keshik would be fine. 
Black Flag Army .... with Boxers.... you kidding me? Sure, THEY WERE MAINLY PATRIOTIC BANDITS NOT REBELLIOUS DICKWADS. They didn't use flamethrowers as far as I know. So why not get swordsmen and WHAT THEY WERE ACTUALLY, LIKE I DON'T KNOW A CHINESE BANDIT UNIT. 
So in general, just rework the entire "Army" prefab.

The Chinese also needs a rework of the buildings for recruiting/training infantry, archers, cavalry, and artillery. Separating the War Academy(which was already stupid as it would train officers if anything not the rank and file) is the first step.

Castles are anachronistic. Why would they be producing artillery again? Should instead be outposts, fortified ones, and look-outs. Look-outs have a weak archer attack or musket attack. And have weak hp. Quick to erect though.

The Gansu Braves was a nice addition. Just too bad it's not trainable in general(I think)? And that it was also a regional unit THAT MADE THE QING FIGHT AGAINST ITSELF ON MODERNIZING AND BEING AN OUTDATED ANTIQUATED IMPERIAL EXISTENCE.

Playing a game to test out Kansu Braves.... I hear Simon Bolivar talk like a European(but American in nature now) white man instead of his South American persona. Why did he rebel against the Spaniard dicks again?

Why does the Boxer unit start off naked? WHAT THE banana. They didn't have shoes if it wasn't something else. THEY AREN'T NAKED WARRIORS(get the Rome 2 reference).

The Europeans nations get a Hussar or light cavalry armed with a sword. Why doesn't the Chinese civilization get one? 

The Meteor Hammer unit is a good unit for the *planned* Korean civilization you guys are making.
https://www.google.com/search?q=joseon+ ... xD8FxM1UzM:
Comes to mind ahead of a (Late) Qing dynasty cavalry unit. 
"조선 중기 기병 the mid of Joseon's (flail)cavalry 출처(source):"

LOL, I just watched a base level Manchu unit get wrecked by a Orangutan treasure guardian despite getting 4 Disciplined Banner Cavalry and 2 Disciplined Meteor Hammer cavalries to back it up. 9 units vs 3 apes... One human unit died. #FeelsBadYo. Pity the horse too.

Why does the Confucian Academy produce Long Dragons? Like what the banana? How does that make sense? It should be like the Golden Pavillion of Japan. It was already stupid in the base game producing Flying Crows( an intellectual academy producing artillery). So why is it still like this? It should instead give techs that help with either modernizing(educating officials to help push through Reforms) or instead increasing productivity of villagers from good governance. 

The Long Dragons aren't ORNATED ARTILLERY; THEY WERE OUTDATED ARTILLERY(basically joking as they were ornate). Those things are like the equivalent to 15th century European cannons. Even less powerful to the Falconets of those times if you would believe some. Why aren't there "Imported Western Cannons" artillery units instead?

I originally got annoyed AND laughed at the Yung unit (thinking it might be a derogatory attempt at just taking out the o from young men defending their homes). But it's actually a nice addition. Except get rid of the wood and instead make it gold. They also served for food and pay. Wood? These guys would traverse into a forest somewhere and just cut the trees as they liked. They wouldn't need to get wood as a prerequisite then. They're so shitty why don't you make it so when you get 30 of them, they get a slight boost to hp and attack(really really small). Late age gun powder units will one shot them. Kek. Funny as breadfruit AND FUCKING WHAT'S UP WITH THAT. Right? Lol. Btw, please get me information on this unit. I need to educate myself.
They should also get a "Disciplined" upgrade as far as I am concern. Kids(joking to myself now) armed with musket? Gonna shoot themselves. Why don't their mommas discipline them some? Kek.

Why does the Qing dynasty Chinese civilization in this game GET A SAFEHOUSE JUST LIKE THE EUROPEANS. No no, it should be like a building named "Bureau of Covert Affairs" or something to produce agents and spies. IMPERIAL CHINA. BUREAUS. OR IMPERIAL DEPARTMENT OF (COVERT) AFFAIRS. 

You really need to get in-game info panels.

The three religions baffles me... Where's the Neo-Confucian THOUGHT for this civilization? WHERE IS ISLAM? Muslims were doing generally well in this period. Taoism? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. YOU SERIOUSLY WHAT MATE. WHAT IS THIS? THE WHITE LOTUS REBELLION? YOU ARE PLAYING AS THE QING DYNASTY, GET ME SOME FUCKING MANDARINS, GET ME SOME FUCKING NEO-CONFUCIAN BUREAUCRATS.

How do you even use the faith mechanic? And why is it called fame? The gather hover over doesn't mean you can actually have anyone to gather faith. If you choose Taoism, YOU WOULDN'T PRAY LIKE A CHRISTIAN WOULD. If you didn't believe in a deity and went for Laicism. How would you address this? 

If you chose Taoism, it should instead by like the more resources they gather the faster the rate of faith comes in (more adherents of the divine aspect of mortal beliefs; Immortals). Especially the "Belief" tech, like come on. Pray 10% more intensely. Yeah sure.

FISHING RAFTS NOT FISHING BOATS? Come on. A fishing raft and a fishing boat wouldn't be the same thing. When it's for trade or fishing the junk is still the main ship. 

The "War" Junks should be more numerous, and just like the Fuchuan(once you rework it) should have a simultaneous cannon, musket, and archer fire feature. If you could make it like this though. The Junks of this period aren't as good as the ships being featured in this time period (once you correct those ships as well). Might actually have a use for the ship orders now. If the "Board Ship(would be a nice rename, me thinks)" order for melee is of any use. Then these ships featuring a complement of outdated cannons, musketeers, and archers would serve a purpose. The ranges will also need to be reflected. Cannons at the ranges now, muskets 12, and archers however archers are like. The damage for each will be different.

All civilizations should be able to get a few more ships. Go ahead and make a naval based map that has capture points to get resources that features prominently naval units instead of land units. Forcing others to compete for naval dominance. 

Also, why does no mod ever address the ranges of cannons? I mean sure it's hard to play against a cannon unit that would have a range of 30 flat and goes up to 50 when they fire so fast and breadfruit. But that should be able to be tweaked. I also read the title of a post before I wrote this. "What is the point of archaic ranged units". Well, now you know. Tweak musket units to fire slower to actually have an animation for loading and firing. Make loading and firing cannons slower. Archers fire on average 6 arrows a minute as compared to 2-3 a minute for musket troops. Why is a musketeer 12 range but a cannon is 26? The musketeer walks up to the cannon and gets a shot off if they are in numbers(more than 2).

GET RID OF THE EXPLOSIVE FEATURE FROM THE FALCONETS AND ARTILLERY THAT WEREN'T EXPLOSIVE THEN. They should have a bouncing feature for the round shot of falconets and those bouncing round shots do damage(JUST TESTED, THEY DO, MY BAD). So if there's a marching army of 50 musketeers, the bouncing round shot would damage the ones behind the initial impact.

All artillery should have a flat starting value of 30 to address the range proponent of muskets(then there was the Longbowmen, pheeew). With additional range added on later in Age and with techs. The damage aspect should be reduced some. Modern cannons if they are added according to this mod would get very damaging artillery.  

The Consulate building should provide Modernization Reforms. The Export feature for troops should stay the same as these foreign powers did send expeditionary forces. But the things we can buy has to change, like the British as the Chinese. Surgeons, spies, petards(the banana?)? <---Don't forget about this part. Also give nations who has access to Consulate and foreign relations more STARTING off possibilities. For the Chinese it could be the Great Powers. France, Britain, Germany, Japan even(during this period). 

Back in time again, if Shaolin Monks are the thing(just for you guys)... Then why do they have a throw-a-shuriken-stunning treasure guardian thingy? Why don't they have a GREAT ROUND HOUSE KICK OF THE BUDDHA. A wide area effect kick that stuns treasure guardians around the kick. Kek. See how foolish it is now?

I really have to say though, VERY GOOD JOB WITH THE SPY REWORK. They finally have a purpose. Espionage is truly a thing (now).

Introduce the 'Cheng'. A walled city common to Imperial China. Basically a town within a 4 by 4 stone wall. http://www.chaz.org/Arch/China/City/Dam ... _small.png Slap to the face since it ain't "4 by 4" really. Denoting the square building you could introduce in this game. It gives something like 30-50 population, extremely costly to build(maybe something like 1000 food,wood, and gold), limited to 4, provides a small trickle of food and gold or just gold only(revenue) kinda like I don't know, .05? Basically really meaningless but just a culture/civ kinda thing. It trains weak militia-like units. (Chinese during this period would get recruited in cities/towns but be of really horrible quality for food and pay). Sword Militia, Bow Militia, Musket Militia, Scout Militia(given a horse and expected to ride around delivering messages and looking at possible enemies), Spear Militia. 

WE HAVE TO BE UNIQUE, GIVE US UNIQUE UNITS. Kek kek. We get mocked by everyone. Give us something more akin to what it should be like then!

I never used the Steppe Raiders, but I finally reinstalled the game and decided to try using it to harass the enemy. That or they are useful for LATE GAME MOP-UPS. Now they are gone, I'm kinda sad. We Chinese SEEM TO BE RENOWN FOR US KILLING EACH OTHER IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD APPARENTLY SO GO AHEAD AND GIVE US A QUICK UNIT GOOD AT KILLING 老百姓. 

Exalted Xiangrus get a cape.... KEK lol.

Why doesn't the War Junks and Fuchuan gets "Novice" upgrade, "Veteran/Seasoned" Upgrade, Exalted upgrade? Maybe even throw in a "bonus", Imperial upgrade. They lose attack and hp(effectiveness) but makes them cheaper. We know the Qing dynasty had to resort to recruiting pirates to serve in the Imperial fleet for better sailors and marines. 

Watching Exalted Xiangrus kill Settlers...... UUUURRRGGGGH. 

Would be funny if the Railroad upgrade for trade posts run over units and cause damage/kill. Kek.

Why is the Machetero good against cavalry again? I have this sword vs spear mentality of cavalry fighting. My God.

Kihei(s) need to have their wood cost taken out and replaced with gold.

Lol, amassed skirmishers can kill a Caravel easily.

Game is funny to ridiculous elements sometimes.

WHERE IS THE BASE GAME'S SPANISH QUEEN. THAT PIC WAS SO HOT. DAYUM. You guys made it more realistic in this mod and she looks hideous just like her British counterpart. WHERE IS THE SPANISH REVOLUTION; WHERE ARE THE SPANISH PLAYERS AT? WHY AREN'T THEY REVOLTING? xDDDD

You have made game play overhauls right? So please add in a "missing chance" to units. Gets really... bland.... Watching them all fire and hit all the time with guarantee of health loss cuz of point and click. Would be nice seeing some misses happening, frankly.

Why would the Emperor's Army home city card ship GANSU BRAVES AND HAND MORTARS? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE. GET SOME breadfruit THAT THE EMPEROR WOULD ACTUALLY GET MANCHU AND MONGOLIAN NOBILITY. Those Banner Cavalries.

Old Han Reforms? NO! GET RID OF IT, GET "NEW MODEL REFORMS". Meant to upgrade them all to Western-platform based soldiers. Chu Ko Nus(once turn into an REWORKED ARCHER UNIT) would instead be a rifle armed soldier. Qing Qiangmen will be musket armed soldiers or something.

YES, THANK GOD FOR THE "WESTERN REFORM" CARD. But add an additional 2% increase for musket(gunpowder troops). 

THE EVER VICTORIOUS ARMY CARD NEEDS TO BE IMPORTED WESTERN CANNONS AND NEW MODEL RIFLE ARMED SOLDIERS.

"Mongolian Scourge"................................................................... Like what the banana? What is this 12th and 13th century? It should be "Cavalry Training Reforms". Lancers learn to lance, horse archers learn to shoot on horseback, and Banner cavalrymen actually learn to fight once again especially firing a musket atop a horse.

BEIYANG ARMY WAS A WESTERN-STYLED ARMY. SOME FUCKING NEW MODEL SOLDIERS PLEASE.

Kek, kek. "Northern Combat", thanks for the FINALLY some recognition for us Northerners especially with yall looking to the South. Get rid of it. Another Reform Card for troops. Northerners' combat during this time was antiquated CHARGE AT THEM AND HACK AT THEM WITH SWORDS OR STAB THEM WITH SPEARS. We obviously know that brought the Qing dynasty down. 

LOL Boxer Fire Army. Touche. They did burn breadfruit down and tortured those they disliked. But... since you guys SHOULD REALLY get rid of Boxers, remake this into something else.

The "Siege" card? Make them "Western Artillery Training". 1, 2, and 3. Or you know. Like Japan. Military missions. Didn't the Germans send advisers and trained the armies?

Yeah... The 'Imperial Court' section of the home city SHOULD REALLY BE GETTING THE MOST OF THE REFORM CARDS.

Merchant Guild's.... "Unequal Treaties" card(Age 1)? 50% resource gather rate but export rate increase by 150-200%.

Then another card addressing this. "Renegotiate Unequal Treaties"(Age 5+). Returns gather rate to 100%(full) and adds 1% for new methods of economy. The export rate increase(from the first card) is now only half at base value(75-100% this card). But should be something like 50% increase of export. And plus the consulate a total bonus of 60% give or take if you guys also have balance issues and opinions on the 75-100% increase.

Custom House also needs Naval Reform. The "Beiyang Fleet" would be a good card. Those Chinese civilization faction unique merc cards need to be redone. Tartars? The Ming Iron Troops? Rattan Shields? Wokou isn't part of this era anymore. Chinese pirates are the thing. A Chinese woman made herself essentially an 'Empress of the Seas'. Commanding over tens of thousands of sailor and marines. With a very large fleet.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/t ... 00-outlaws

Really small thing. Rename the Fortress(home city) to "Bureau of Military Affairs" or whatever was actually during this time.

Great Wall card plus 200% not 100% and the training time increase stays the same. Why is it the same amount as the other civilization's card? Is their walls still around? How important are their walls?

The "Acupuncture" card is a great joke. Change it however you see fit if you want the extra work. Kek.

There's probably more. But this is all I could think of right now.

P.P.S. The censor feature is hilarious.
Last edited by JohnReese on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Crushington_2nd
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Re: Chinese Rework Needed

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Any specific points to rework? This post is slightly pointless otherwise
Tiocfaidh ár lá

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Crushington_2nd wrote: Any specific points to rework? This post is slightly pointless otherwise
Thank you for posting, and here I am presenting. Please look over my post. Sorry, it's so much. But it's the very smallest of what this mod should have been. 

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:11 pm

why you use such big typo?
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Repeat to yourself "It’s just a game, I should really just relax."

There's too much to this game you're taking too literally, and things that wouldn't work for balance reasons or just overall consistency. This is not a good game for you to play if you're going to get so upset over historical accuracy.

Having said that, the modernization of old civs is a work in progress. In the next patch, Chinese Banner Armies will be renamed and their mercenaries will be updated. Li Hongzhang will be replaced with Empress Dowager Cixi, if that doesn't offend your butt hurt protective Chinese male ass. In the future they'll probably see further modernization.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:34 pm

This entire thread is the Banana

Crushington_2nd
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Hoop Thrower wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:34 pm
This entire thread is the Banana
B R E A D F R U I T
Tiocfaidh ár lá

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:00 pm

I stopped reading after the Xiangu. This is too cancerous.
My conclusion: this guy has 0,00000% skill in programming and designing. Yes, of course many things are bad form a historical view of point. Sho-ko-nu's are probably still there as it is an iconic weapon. You should be proud of that. It would surprise me if you could say anything iconic about my country, Belgium. And believe me, if the devs could get their hands on a very interesting replacement for it, they would take the opportunity.

Another thing: change your tone. The complaints about the refugees cards is most probably true, these "errors" are still there due to these being minor but time-consuming to change (considering the team has no Chinese insiders). If you had made a much clearer (the font size makes it difficult to read) and nicer request, I'm sure the team would've taken this into consideration. As I said, the team has no Chinese history experts, so your help could be very welcome.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote: Sho-ko-nu's are probably still there as it is an iconic weapon.
chu ko nu are probably still there because was still in use in the wol's timeline
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

HrdsHrdrck wrote: why you use such big typo?
Would you prefer if I wrote it this small? Have a good time straining your eyes.