This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Wars of Liberty
Topic Author
Official Mod Account
Official Mod Account

FAQ

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:54 am

Frequently asked questions

How do I install the game?
Download and run the installer in a clean copy of the game, fully updated (Steam doest that for you)

How do I patch?
The updater will automatically patch your game every time you run it.

I found a bug, what to do?
Head to this thread to post what you've found.

How can I play online?
ESO is the recommended platform for multiplayer games. Be sure all players have the latest update for Wars of Liberty by starting the game in the launcher. Other option that might suit you is Gameranger.

What to do after I play an ONLINE game?
You can fill this form and help us balance!
http://goo.gl/forms/b3GvvFUuus

I think a Civ/combo/card/whatever is imbalanced, what should I do?
Discuss it on the forums with us and other players! It will really be helpful!

I wanna play online but I don’t have friends, what do?
Join the Facebook group and look out for people! Try to keep the thread in english, so everyone can understand, but if you can’t, I’m sure you’ll find people who speak your same language.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/821103577966026/

I can’t find a certain civilization when creating a Home City, where is it?
It's probably not yet released, so you will have to wait for it.

The AI is just standing there, what is going on?
Sadly, only a few AIs are ready now. You’ll have to wait for the others to come in later patches. So far, only the original civs and the Latin American ones are ready.

Why are so many things missing, incomplete, or broken?
As we realize our progress is slow sometimes and many of you have been patiently awaiting the mod, we decided it would be best to release before everything was completely done. What’s missing, incomplete, or broken will be fixed and released in later patches.

I got RockallDll.dll/DataPY.bar/deformerdlly.dll file missing error. What should I do?
If you are getting this error, this means that the path where Wars of Liberty was installed isn’t a valid AoE3 installation. If you are playing the CD version, you’ll likely be able to find AoE3 at Program Files\Microsoft  Games\Age of Empires III, but, if you use the Steam version, AoE3 will be usually located at Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age of Empires III\bin.
Additionally, you can make a copy of your AoE3 installation and install and run Wars of Liberty on this copy, without having to rename folders or change registry back and forth.

If you still cannot find where AoE3 is installed in your PC, try to use the Windows Search function to look for the "age3y.exe" file, which is the TAD executable.

How do I install it in the Steam version?
In order to install it in the Steam version, you need to set the installation path at install time to the directory where the AoE3 Steam version is located, which is usually Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age of Empires III\bin.

Additionally, you can make a copy of your AoE3 installation and install and run Wars of Liberty on this copy, without having to rename folders or change registry back and forth. 

Can I install it over the "Throne Room" WoL version?
Theoretically, there would be no problem in installing this patch over the previous WoL version, since all changed files would be replaced. However, this could cause unforeseen side effects to your WoL installation, thus we highly recommend installing this update over a clean AoE3 install.

Do I need Throne Room?
No, and, if you have it installed, we recommend uninstalling it.

Game is not displaying all of the new civs. 
This usually happens because game tries to load AI files from the AI3 folder at Documents\My Games\Wars of Liberty first, which, most of time, contains less AI/personality files. Deleting this folder should solve this issue.

Installer doesn't run here. What should I do?
If the installer is taking too long to run, this might be happening because your anti-virus might be trying to scan it. In this case, we would recommend disabling your AV while installing WoL and re-enable it right after the installation is finished.

I got a Connection Timed Out or Connection reset exception in the Updater. What should I do?
Those are server side errors, therefore, unfortunately, we can't do much about them. All we can recommend is trying again and checking if your AV or Firewall is, somehow, blocking the Updater from fetching the necessary files. If the problem still persists, then you will have to install the updates manually.

I’m having another problem
If you are experiencing any issue which isn’t described here or that can’t be solved by the solutions that have been proposed in this FAQ, drop a reply to this thread, describing the problem with enough detail, so we will be able to help you out.

Armsy
Roto
Roto

Re: FAQ

Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

I am trying to install on a Mac but I have the CD version of age of empires not the Steam version.... any tips or tutorial on how to install? 

lord_ellessar
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Mon May 15, 2017 3:38 pm

how do I recruit anglo's "battalions" ? :/

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 am

The AI is just standing there, what is going on?

Sadly, you were unlucky enough to pick Egyptians. If any more ai's act like this, you haven't visited http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/ykl7VoT0/file.html yet where you can get your mitts on a ai that will have all your ai's working except Egyptians, or just wait for the patch 1.0.9 where this will be made available to you automatically. This ai even knows how to fight in the great war age!

Septafolia
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Indians

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 am

I'm getting a bug with that AI, @UnstoppableStreletsy, where the computer players don't build any houses and therefore can't really do anything since they don't have the population. Everything else seems to be working, though it's hard to tell. This is the same bug I've experienced when I've experimented with the AI myself in the past, and I have no idea what's causing it. As soon as I revert whatever simple changes I made (even as simple as assigning the Habsburgs the correct gatherer), they work again. Is this a problem only I'm getting?

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Check the portuguese forum to get the latest ai. This link is old.

DahkillaHellcase.com
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:07 am

I have been having a problem where i cant see different kinds of text. They can be seen here: http://imgur.com/KNUnK43   http://imgur.com/zJcTXzM  http://imgur.com/Fg1jsNR    http://imgur.com/3aDf6p3   This isnt a wol specific problem but i was hoping it may somehow get fixed and i havent found a fix for it. This is a fresh install i tried verifying my game cache, with and without compatibility modes, and uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing fixed it but i did have it previously installed on this Computer with no problems and I am on Windows 10.

Faisal
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Dear... I have a question..
I couldn't find Japanese civilization and NAN civilization.... Also couldn't find 40 civilization.... As war of liberty claim...

Septafolia
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Indians

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Did you run the installer as well as the updater?

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Moreover, do you have both expansions?