This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Christos
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Intern Recruitment

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:53 am

Do you love WoL? Do you wish to help making it more balanced and organized? Here is your chance!

Many of the tasks remaining in WoL involve time-consuming work, but the team would prefer to focus on the coding, texturing, and other design of the mod. That's where you come in! We need motivated fans who are willing to comb through Wars of Liberty's files and features to list information about the game, research names, help design the website, and help build history and wiki pages.

These tasks take time, so we're happy to accept anyone that volunteers! The requirements are:
  • An installation of WoL.
  • Free time.
  • Patience.
  • Ability to follow guidance.
  • An account in our forum.
Anyone that volunteers will get access to a new hidden forum, where their first task will be assigned. Those of you that complete your tasks will be promoted to interns. So tell me, who wants to help WoL?  ^^

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Re: Intern Recruitment

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm

I believe I will be able to help your cause again since I will have the time for several months now. Also, I was thinking that maybe this group of volunteers can tackle some of the tasks that wol team will not be able get to like making the campaign and scripting the ai that in a group, people could handle effectively.

DayoftheNinja
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Zulu
Steam: DayoftheNinja

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 am

We're glad to have you back, Streletsy. I'll start contacting the old volunteers about returning and hopefully we can put together some projects for you guys. Thanks for helping out!

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Well, if there is to be a campaign created for this mod, it will take a entire team of mod users to perfect to the point that it surpasses the hindered aoe3 vanilla model and instead goes on the path of that of aoe2 as a prime example. It also doesn't require much programming except for understanding conceptually how to create triggers and scale the map correctly. As for the ai script part, it would need a large group of people who could each focus on one section of the very large script and continue testing it till the ai is both functioning and challenging to fight similar to the NE ai or even the Age of Dynasties one to some extent.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm

If you manage to coordinate a team to do that, you're more than welcome to go ahead.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I can if I find the people. The thing is, I need to find the people which can sometimes be difficult when it comes to a task like ai scripting because at first just scanning the large file can be intimidating to a first timer. Even I haven't read the entire file from top to bottom yet. If I were to coordinate any ai related task with a team of dedicated users, I would most likely begin with a task such as fitting in the Balkan civs who already operate along the levels of European civs in many facets such as using familiar buildings like the stable and artillery foundry and also gathering from a plantation like building such as the bee hive or olive plantation.

Perhaps then, the campaign is a better starting point where many volunteers might already have some experience with the scenario editor.

mx_crafter
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Canadians
Steam: mx_crafter

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:57 am

I would really like to help. I play the game really often and have time.

CelticCrusader
Volunteer
Volunteer
ESO: CelticCrusader
Steam: CelticCrusader

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am

Hey guys ! You know me ,I will try to help with whatever I can. On scripting AI, I would love to know where to start, but my knowledge of code goes as far as modding a few rms scripts. 
Join the Wars of Liberty steam group here >> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3WOL

If you also play AOE3 Join my group here >>.http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3NOOBS

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 am

Good to see your willing to help with the ai script. Understanding the code is actually very easy because the xml file uses plain english to describe the code more than likely. Also, those who worked on it previously left comments for every line of code so we know what purpose each piece serves. The tricky part is searching the large file on notepad or your text editor of choice for the statements you want to add or modify because preferably, we would want to organize the code in the scheme that the previous coders left it since wol will keep adding new civs and therefore new ais. This is the main ai scripting tutorial for aoe3 though in our case we will not be building it from scratch and thankfully can use the draugner, wotta, wol additions already added.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... ,38878,,10

CelticCrusader
Volunteer
Volunteer
ESO: CelticCrusader
Steam: CelticCrusader

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 am

UnstoppableStreletsy wrote: Good to see your willing to help with the ai script. Understanding the code is actually very easy because the xml file uses plain english to describe the code more than likely. Also, those who worked on it previously left comments for every line of code so we know what purpose each piece serves. The tricky part is searching the large file on notepad or your text editor of choice for the statements you want to add or modify because preferably, we would want to organize the code in the scheme that the previous coders left it since wol will keep adding new civs and therefore new ais. This is the main ai scripting tutorial for aoe3 though in our case we will not be building it from scratch and thankfully can use the draugner, wotta, wol additions already added.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... ,38878,,10
What a coincidence, as I see this comment I already have this guide up and reading it , just did a google search. Thanks anyway. I am gonna give it a good read now. 
Join the Wars of Liberty steam group here >> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3WOL

If you also play AOE3 Join my group here >>.http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3NOOBS