This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Fenriz
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Uzbeks
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

|OPINION| NATIVES OF THE MAPS

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 am

Image Good day for all Creatures! , I was thinking about ideas for the natives of WoL and as always I like to share these thoughts here. What natives would like to see? What do they need? Would they change the system? I await your answers here below, many greetings.
"Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean." Image

ANCANEITOR
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Egyptians

Re: |OPINION| NATIVES OF THE MAPS

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:37 am

As a Colombian and replying to you, my paisano, there should really be discussed if those Apache in Llanos could be a nice cattlemen town or some interesting Muisca.
"Cuanto de mejor natural es un carácter, peor es el resultado de su corrupción" -Platón
"The better nature a character has, the worse the result of it`s corruption." -Plato

oscars
Fur Trader
Fur Trader
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:53 am

uhm..Cheyenne, Comanche and Apache could hunt like Peruvian Morochucos

Mitron
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Definitely Comanches deserve some more love right now. They were quite important for two centuries, stopping Spanish and fighting pretty much everyone around quite succesfully (especially Mexicans and other Native Americans). I'd even suggest you to create them as another faction, relying even more on horsemen than Sioux as well as having even worse economy (Comanches could gain some profits from trading and horse breeding - maybe a corral building that gives them some trickle of gold per time - like Indian's forests, but they wouldn't have access to elementary market techs) and being stronger rushers (more cavalry in 2 age). In place of Comanches you could introduce Kiowas as a minor native tribe with cavalry unit. Comanches would get use of anti-villager and anti-building horsemen, that would depict their violent nature. Also some nice horse archers (a bit stronger than Sioux, but the risk of being OP would be real), horse gunners, lancers, axe/club riders. Also villagers could be horsemen, as their all society revolved around horse, even more so than in Mapuche or Sioux civ (those were also exceptionally good horsemen, so I bring them as comparison). As a tradeoff their buildings could be very fragile and they would lack defense building, their outposts would be weaker etc. What do you think?

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:15 pm

You basically want to make the Sioux, but ultra-specialized and OP.

Mitron
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am

Nope, having no infantry can really be pain, same thing with very weak war huts, would make them pretty much defenseless. Also, costly cavalry units with meagre economy would block the civ from being OP. Mounted villagers would be unique thing, encouraging more nomadic strategy than sioux. Also, very popular sioux strategy is to rush with cetan and clubs early and spam wakinas later, so they use their infantry quite a lot. Comanches would need to rely only on their horsemen, lesser in numbers.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

So you basically want to make the Sioux, but ultraspecialized and UP.

You know we already have a civilization with mounted villagers, right? It wouldn't be unique anymore.

Mitron
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 pm

The OP and UP matter depends on the stats/cost of units and their availability, it is adjustable and I can't just specify in a single post perfectly balanced civilization. But I'm not sure if there exists a civ that is 100% mounted. Another idea that goes to my head is that for each unit/building destroyed or killed they would get a very little trickle of resources. This matter is delicate though and needs testing, because it can turn OP if not well balanced. For nomadic purposes they could train villagers in settlements - much weaker building than normal town hall, but cheaper, faster to build and with bigger build limit. I just think there is a place for more authentic plains civilization. Also, while Sioux are strong rushers and Bow Riders are capable villager-killers, Comanches could have some early cav units devastating to settlers. Also their units could have a bit more LOS and speed for scouting the map. It needs some discussion though, thanks for your interest

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Mitron wrote: The OP and UP matter depends on the stats/cost of units and their availability, it is adjustable and I can't just specify in a single post perfectly balanced civilization.
Yeah it's not that simple... what Hoop Thrower is saying is that the design isn't neither creative nor balanced to begin with.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm

I've been thinking about a possible idea for the maps featuring the eastern coast of the U.S. Since many of these areas are inhabited more by people due to the industrial revolution (especially in the north), it would be interesting to create minor civs as native settlements similar to what wyte raven is doing in his mod, except now, all the techs available would be open to every civ.
If anyone isn't familar with the minor civ concept, they are minor groups of people by ethnicity or organization that makes a "minor civ" that has many techs compared to vanilla native settlments and also often features several native units. Secondly, if this idea were to be expanded to other more remote at that time, places in the U.S, perhaps the U.S civ could hire them in battalions at the congress along side the faction's UU for that age instead of using a generic anglophone unit like a rifleman or militia.