This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Tzommar
Ancient Empires Team
Ancient Empires Team

Re: What will happen to the shoguns and daimyos

Sun May 27, 2018 12:48 am

And for consistency, they would have to rework/remove civs WoL just introduced like the Inca.
Why?

Our timeline:
1780 - 1914

Bippo
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am

Why
Well, even if 2pac is a smart choice as a leader for this timeline, the mod is referencing the Incan Empire (which makes totally sense to me). Take units like the Auca Runa or the whole Inca gold thing for example. But it's not about the Inca (one of my favorite civs btw). It's the same with the Tupi. Cunhambebe isn't even from that timeline. And it's the same with a lot of other cards and units (like Tercios for example). Probably one can find some weird reason, why a single tech fits in 1780, but in generel AoE3 is referencing the 16th and 17th century heavily. Obviously you don't have to be consistent, but why renaming the Aztecs then?

My point is not to be historically accurate. I think it's the right choice to take gameplay over history. I just don't really get what's the added value of reducing the time frame? It's probably a lot of work. Would you explain? Eventually it's not my choice. It's a brilliant mod today and one way or another I'm looking forward for future updates :)

Tzommar
Ancient Empires Team
Ancient Empires Team

Sun May 27, 2018 4:42 pm

The mod takes civs that existed in our timeline. In some cases, for flavour, we use a unit that came a little before or a little after our timeline.
Cunhambebe is one of the few Tupinambás' leader we know of (and one of most prominent [?]), that's why he is their leader (Unfurtunatelly, The Church burned all things it passed by in Americas), even coming before our timeline.
For cards we use the history of the civ, even before our timeline. As, in fact, a civ is what history made it to be.
Aztecs (IF we rename it) will be 'cause our timeline, yes.

We have not reduced the timeline. It is what was ever. AoE3, had another (confuse) timeline.
That said, I agree with you: Gameplay comes first, against history, WHEN one cannot work with the other.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sun May 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Actually, we're planning to put Arcoverde as the leader of the Tupi, it's just not implemented yet.

As to the why of the change, it's because the game looked mighty silly combining things from a stretch of over 500 years that transitioned from what effectively was medieval warfare to, well, machine guns and airplanes. So we cut for the safest option and, since the mod's technically flavored after the Scramble for Africa, we decided to just bite the bullet and convert it entirely to the 19th century.

Pepp
Struggle of Indonesia Team
Struggle of Indonesia Team
Favorite Civilization: Indonesians

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Changing the daimyos and shogun into daimyos (or military leaders whatever) of the game's timeline is the closest WoL can do. But I am sure you got ain't no time. Lol

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Besides, larger scope isn't always good in the first place. One of the best mods for Age of Empires 2 is Age of Chivalry, a total conversion which brings the entire game to medieval Western Europe a la Crusader Kings. For that matter, Crusader Kings is generally recognized as an awesome game even though its focused entirely on medieval Europe and the crusades, once you've gotten around the steep learning curve and abusive DLC policies.