This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Re: World And WOL

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

How is Liberia pre-European?

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 am

I meant from before the Berlin Convention/"Scramble for Africa". Liberia wasn't much more than a weird colony experiment, so I guess it doesn't really count either. Egypt itself just barely qualifies for pre-European status - it was a quasi-independent state of the Ottoman Empire. Just look up an ethnic map of Africa, and you'll find there's little correlation at all between nation and state. Modern day "Ghana" doesn't have anything to do with the ancient Ghana other than sharing the name.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:49 am

Interestingly enough, if Benin had kept calling itself Republic of Dahomey they'd have a pretty legit claim to be a continuation of the precolonial state.

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 am

Why? Just because it had the same name? It's hard to say any modern African country that underwent colonization is a "continuation" of geographically and ethnically corresponding pre-European states.

Rampo
Topic Author
Hwacha
Hwacha
Steam: BG_Rampo

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

Important Update:
Unfortunately, Fenriz, WOL Team member, has posted a post about limit civs to be used in WOL depends on culture. In Latin American culture is 8 and African culture is 3. 
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1037&sid=6eea902999 ... 5&start=10 ; Post #11
if this limit is accepted by WOL admin, DOTN and/or Takatmo, some countries, which is marked ???, may no longer be used as a plan to be used in WOL, especially my suggest civs: Bolivia
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

That is very much not what Fenriz was saying. He pointed out that there are already 8 Latin American civs, but only 3 African civs. While most of Central and South America is filled in by now, much of the African continent is still "up for grabs," if you will. Yet hardly anyone seems to want to suggest African civ designs (perhaps because of their difficulty). But just because you can't equate most modern African countries with precolonial states, that doesn't mean there aren't still a vast number of African states that could potentially be civs.

HrdsHrdrck
Firebrand
Firebrand
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Its offtopic but I proposed in the Spanish forum the Khoisan. Maybe it's a good idea to translate my design into English because I think that users they seem more interested here
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Rampo
Topic Author
Hwacha
Hwacha
Steam: BG_Rampo

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am

next update:
i tend to make a WIP for my asian suggest civs, Mongolian, but this suggest civs here is canceled due to can't quite shine and unfit history
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo