This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The University! This forum is for sharing modding tutorials.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

List of modding no-nos (updated)

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:19 am

As said here, a modding no-no is something you cannot do. The list has changed a little bit lot since many years ago, with the development of workarounds and, most importantly, the Unhardcode Patch (UHC) and UHC Plugin (UPL).

The current list applies to the copies that are patched with UHC. If you don't use UHC then both the old list and this list apply.

Current no-nos:
* You cannot make new animations.
* You cannot train buildings. You have to build. Therefore Egyptian caravans are not buildings.
* You cannot transform units into buildings. They'll appear as foundation.
* You cannot spawn buildings. They'll appear as foundation.
* You cannot ship buildings. They'll appear as foundation.
* You cannot replicate the TownCenter, TradingPost and ypConsulate
* The tech effect "SetCivilization" disables access to the homecity. Revolutions are not tested yet. This effect has a relatively high risk to cause a crash.
* Negative trickles are impossible.
* You cannot make civ-specific musics.
* You cannot make situational sounds - like the revolution one. However you can trigger a sound using a tech.
* You cannot make models fatten. The three stages of a fattening sheep is actually three different models.
* Units cannot gather shipments and skillpoints.
* Units and buildings can't have a skillpoints cost.
* Truck attack always cuts trees down, even with 0 multiplier
* Knocked out units still trickle resources.
* Units stop trickling resources while in garrison. /!\ Didn't make enough testings.
* With hitpoints below zero, "KnockedOutDeath" units crash the game.
* Units will always be able to shoot through objects (walls, buildings, etc)
* Seems like units cannot have gather points. /!\ It sometimes work...
* You cannot determine game difficulty in random map scripts.
* You cannot query queued units in any script.
* Non-idle units can't be healed, unless you use autoheal without timer (like minutemen).
* You cannot put water in groupings.
* You have to put both ValidIdleVillager and AbstractVillager to make the "idle units" banner appear.
* Only buildings with placementrules\tradingpost.xml and/or tradingpost.tactics can receive resources from railroad units on trade routes. Replicating the files won't replicate the effects.
* You cannot decide what treasure will appear when place the treasure object.
* You cannot make natives nor Asians revolt.
* You cannot make units attack while moving.
* You cannot change a civ's flag without revolution.

Changelog
* September 30th, 2018:
- Initial post

* September 30th, 2018 (several hours after the first post):
- Updated: "SetCivilization" effect.
- Added the old list's elements that are still no-nos.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

Circle of Ossus
Dragoon
Dragoon
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: List of modding no-nos (updated)

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

"* You cannot make units fatten like sheep. "
I don't understand this part. The geese and hens work like sheep, but were also added by the team. Or am I wrong

The tech effect "SetCivilization" disables access to the homecity. Revolutions are not tested yet. " 
Didn't this also crash when you had to switch UI? Like Becoming Asian as Euro making the game crash because export has to be suddenly shown. Also, do the ingame flags, ingame voicesets and building style switch if you switch from civilization?

You cannot decide what treasure will appear when place the treasure object. "
Let's say you have some civ power that summons treasures. Will these treasures be affected by the treasure type you find on these maps, and will it check if it has to be a water/land treasure? fe You won't get treasures with rats in America (typical Polynesian Treasure Guardien)

About skillpoints: Can you make a HC tech card that grants skillpoints? (would be useful for leveling on ESO) If so, would it bypass the maximum skillpoint gain you can get per match (I think there is a maximum of 2, but that could also be a maximum on XP).

I know, I should not care about all this, but I find this interesting, so why not ask? Thank you very much for the updated list!
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote:
"* You cannot make units fatten like sheep. "
I don't understand this part. The geese and hens work like sheep, but were also added by the team. Or am I wrong

More like you cannot make the model bigger. You have to have several different models. A skinny woman, a nice-shaped one and a fat one. Therefore you can create the illusion that she's fattening. Also I didn't know hens and geese fatten too :hmm:
Circle of Ossus wrote:
The tech effect "SetCivilization" disables access to the homecity. Revolutions are not tested yet. " 
Didn't this also crash when you had to switch UI? Like Becoming Asian as Euro making the game crash because export has to be suddenly shown. Also, do the ingame flags, ingame voicesets and building style switch if you switch from civilization?

Aaah, yeah, I remember it crashed the game. The reason is unknown, but it's certainly not UI-related. Indeed I transformed Spanish into Iroquois and it worked for quite a while... Either way, I think that the whole effect is a no-no :hmm:
Circle of Ossus wrote:
You cannot decide what treasure will appear when place the treasure object. "
Let's say you have some civ power that summons treasures. Will these treasures be affected by the treasure type you find on these maps, and will it check if it has to be a water/land treasure? fe You won't get treasures with rats in America (typical Polynesian Treasure Guardien)

Yeah it's affected by the map. Also, IIRC, water treasures have the "water" flag so...
Circle of Ossus wrote:
About skillpoints: Can you make a HC tech card that grants skillpoints? (would be useful for leveling on ESO) If so, would it bypass the maximum skillpoint gain you can get per match (I think there is a maximum of 2, but that could also be a maximum on XP).

Good question :hmm: I will test to see.
There is not much to do with skill points... You can decide how fast you level up, and that's probably just it...
Circle of Ossus wrote:
I know, I should not care about all this, but I find this interesting, so why not ask? Thank you very much for the updated list!

Nah, keep it going so we can find as many limitations (and possibilities!) as possible!

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:37 pm

But the Sheep is also different models that change overtime...

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 pm

I gotta admit, the sentence is ambiguous. Fixed.

saifrafatnew
Voluntário da Pátria
Voluntário da Pátria

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

You cannot make civ-specific music
Doesn't WOL have different civ themes?

Tzommar
Ancient Empires Team
Ancient Empires Team

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 am

WoL make a workaroud to get it.

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 am

Well, with triggers, anything is possible. But doing stuff with triggers is not "modding". It's more like map designing ;)

(Those civ-specific musics are played by triggers)