This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Post Office! This forum is for off-topic discussion.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Rampo
Dragoon
Dragoon

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 am

Good to see you, Princeps
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

serdanlog
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Sergio, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thank you so much for your good work!

All the Best!

Pierre Jean
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Turks

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi everyone! I am a new fan of Wars of Liberty and I subscribed to the forum to discuss with the community! I hope you all have a good day!
You are not responsible for the head you have but you are responsible for the mouth you make.

IsoldeCutie
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 am

Hello! I am Isolde! Avid Gamer Girl from the PH.
Nice to meet you all! 

FrenchLegionnaire
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: French

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 pm

My name is FrenchLegionnaire, it's the first time I'm in a forum.

RockeRZ6
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Brazilians
Steam: Steel Legion Garen

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 am

Name's Rocker (or Garen, if you prefer).

I come here every now and then to see if there are any news (most of the time, there aren't, unfortunately).
I've been modding this mod for quite a while now. Actually, I wouldn't bother helping the team.
Favorite civ? Brazil, of course. Specially when it comes to choosing Bento Gonçalves as a revolt leader (playing as my own country and then choosing the revolution of my own state, that's patriotism in a nutshell). 
May the great state of Rio Grande do Sul decimate its enemies (at least in Age of Empires, lel).

I'm open to modding suggestions, even if it's for personal use only.

Christos
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 am

RockeRZ6 wrote: Actually, I wouldn't bother helping the team.
First of all, welcome! Now, what exactly could you help us with?

RockeRZ6
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Brazilians
Steam: Steel Legion Garen

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Christos wrote:
RockeRZ6 wrote: Actually, I wouldn't bother helping the team.
First of all, welcome! Now, what exactly could you help us with?
Glad you asked, friend. Well, I'd say I have some experience with modding civs/proto units now. I do think some civs need a closer look. In my case, I've been reworking Brazil. For example:

1. How is it that Brazilian abolitionists techs increase the total amount of African Slaves one can have?
2. Why is "slave trade" and "whip the slaves!" avaliable at the Town Center (and Fazenda), but not at the Mill or Plantation?
3. Why does Brazil (and most SA civs) use generic names and or figures as politicians?

So I took the liberty to change this a bit. 
1- Abolition techs now decrease the amount slaves you can have, but increase the amount of gauchos* and their work efficiency by 3%.
2- Since the abolition techs now decrease slavery, I doesn't make any sense to keep those techs in town hall. Why, you ask me? Coronels were historically in favor of slavery. So I swapped the position of "slave trade" and abolition techs. Abolition techs I, II and III are avaliable at age II and abolition techs IV and V are avaliable at age III. Also, "whip the slaves!" was moved to mills and plantations. I think it's makes more sense this way.
3- All 13 Brazilian politicians are now real people and all** of them have unique techs to enhance gameplay***. There is only 1 politician avaliable to reach age V - Dom Pedro II -, although I was considering add a second option: Marshall Deodoro da Fonseca****. In 1889, one year after slavery was banned from Brazil, the military "impeached" Dom Pedro II and declared the republic, putting an end to the empire.

*It was the most historically accurate villager already in-game I could think of. People who are born in Argentina, Uruguay and Rio Grande do Sul state (Brazil) are considered gauchos (spanish) or gaúchos (portuguese).
**Some techs are not ready yet.
***I do think all politicians should provide a unique tech. The units they send is a "short term" bonus, while a tech would be a "long term" bonus. I don't think you guys would implement this without changing all other Latin American civs.
****Also, I considered to add Deodoro da Fonseca as a third revolt option. He would change the Empire of Brazil flag to the United States of Brazil flag. This could be historically conflitant, because there are some stories he hated that flag, and that would be one of the reasons why we kept the yellow diamond in our flag.

I also made minor changes to gameplay (e.g. bacamarteers have shorter range, but deals loads of damage to infantry), not to mention that I had to rewrite a ton of lines because I didn't find them organised enough for me. If you have any interest in testing those changes, PM me. I'd gladly send you the files.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Not gonna lie. I don't like any of those changes. At all.

Septafolia
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Indians

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Yeah, there's a lot you're not getting about the nature of the mod.

I can give a more detailed response.
  1. Gameplay trumps historical accuracy (I struggle with this too sometimes).
  2. Civilizations, for the most part, need to stay consistent with their cultures.
Each Latin American civ gets a unique villager, and one civ shouldn't be getting another civ's unique villagers. That's why Brazil has African Slaves and only African Slaves. While the abolition techs letting you train more slaves is one of the weirdest things in the whole mod, rule 1 still applies. And Brazilian politicians shouldn't be offering unique techs, nor should they have historical figures as politicians. Each culture has a unique age-up system, and Brazil needs to conform to the Latin American system with generic politicians, not the Anglophone system with named politicians and unique techs.

RockeRZ6 wrote:there are some stories he hated that flag
I don't blame him.
Image Image Image Image Image