This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Post Office! This forum is for off-topic discussion.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Pepp
Topic Author
Struggle of Indonesia Team
Favorite Civilization: Indonesians

Remodification and Content Stealing

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am

Remodification Issue

As modder, each of us had our own intention inside the mods. In SoI, our aim was to portray historically correct Indonesia in a fun gameplay. WoL however, probably aimed to portray the whole world. Different case with WoME, KR, Improvement mod, and whatever bla bla. Problem was, not all our fan understands this and the worst part, some 'talented' one tried to modify it according to their need and published it for other. This remodification also did not fulfill our quality standard, such had bad flag, reused new textures, and boring civilization concepts.

To the date, I didn't know any remodification which was published publically with or without the concern of the original modification team. However, there were maybe a lot of such which were published for a closed group. And my beloved SoI got infected with such cancer: History of Java remodification. When the remodder propose the civ to me, I was actually happy to find another Indonesian modder... until I realized that his works were cringy as f*ck. It didn't follow the culture system, reuse other civ's unique unit and unique gameplay, but the worse part was that most of the new civs were near unhistorical. That was the worse part. The worst was that it grew faaaaster than any 'official' mod. To the date, it reached 16 civs!

The big question was: were there any way to stop them? I tried to stop this guy back then, disallowing him to use my contents, but then I was trapped in the fact that I might or might not have legal standing for my works anyway! Also, was such condition a remodification at all or a content stealing? Whatever, the works were so cringy it destroyed the essence of the original mod.

Top to bottom: belgium, surrender civ, EIC, luxembourg, and an ugly flag civ.

Rampo
Blandengue
Blandengue

Re: Remodification and Content Stealing

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

What??? Is your mod detected a serious problem, Pepp
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

Dr Roach
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 pm

What's this? How about a link, please?

Septafolia
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 am

Yes, give us and everyone who visits this page a link to the mod you want shut down because it has illegally stolen yours and others' original work!
Image Image

Dr Roach
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 am

Well, at least to the place where we can persecute and suppress it.

AlistairJah
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: French

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

The community may help to fight against such boring cases! You just need to tell us where can we find it.

Pepp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 am

Problem is, it is spread underground in a facebook closed group. I can't detect it myself, but a few of my facebook page follower already mentions it.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:36 pm

There's nothing much that can be done about it honestly. You just need to have a special touch, some kind of trademark(not literally) style of design that makes it obvious when the civ is done by you and not some random asshole.

Pepp
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Exactly what I think too, Hoop. But now that all new units and buildings use new model (thanks to Mandos who told us that small application), it will be clear if someone steals my work. Ha.

Pepp
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 am

We went a hard agreement. They're forced to relinquish their name and any SoI units. Here's the hoe: https://www.facebook.com/Age-of-Empires ... 069531028/
It's not less cringy.