This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Library! This forum is for asking questions about modding, and sharing maps, mods, and other creations.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Osiris
Topic Author
Villero
Villero

Re: AI questions

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

True. We both completely forgot about it... Anyways, that's not a problem. Not at all since now I have a better understanding of how does the economic system work. And from what I understood, the most important thing to do, when scripting an AI, is the economy. That's it, right? You shouldn't do anything before the economy is really good.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: French

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes. It's just like human players. Unless you play deathmatches, you won't be able to do anything without (a good) economy. However there still are many things that I don't understand yet. For example, the opportunity and the opportunity scoring system, which has zero links to other parts of the script. The only place where I see it called is in the handler definition. I cannot remember the exact code, but it's something like aiSetHandler("scoreOpportunity", cXSScoreOppHandler). I will probably need to print all aiEcho() on the screen during a match to be able to study it a bit. So now, if you're gonna ask me about these parts, you know I cannot help you ;)
(that doesn't mean you should stop asking me if you have questions or doubts)
(fr) Regarde à travers et vois le cygne et ce qui vit au-delà de l'au-delà.

Osiris
Topic Author
Villero
Villero

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Understanding might help, but is not mandatory, you told it yourself.

This topic is getting bigger with just two guys discussing. Is there a way to contact you in private? Not PM in this forum, something else.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, I said it. But I really wanna understand how does it, plus other features like missions and even some handlers, work. Several activities of the AI seem to be controlled by these apparently hardcoded features.

Do you have Discord? I'm there most of the time. I will PM you my Discord ID.

Osiris
Topic Author
Villero
Villero

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 am

I don't have Discord but I can get it if you prefer it. This mod is also on Discord, right? Sorry I didn't see your PM :p Talking about this mod, I think I will get it, just to thank you for all your help.

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I thought I should put this in public. I got a theory about the opportunities. I think it's linked to the Attack Goal plan. Missions and opportunities are automatically launched if the AI didn't receive any requests from one of its allies OR from Gaia (Mother Nature), i.e. trigger. If you look deeper into the codes, you will see that everything that is "linked" to opportunities are about attacks. You want the AI to build a Trading Post on a specific socket? You send an attack order next to that socket. You want the AI to defend a specific area? You send an attack order around that area. And so on. But that's only a guess. The best way to verify that is probably to test extensively.